• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Optimizing a GeForce FX Go 5200 64MB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GV2NIX

I just got a laptop, and it has a GeForce FX Go 5200 64MB video adapter. I was just curious if there's anything I can do to maximize performance without risking my hardware too much. Since this is a laptop, obviously cooling will be an issue. There's absoultely nothing I can do to actively cool the video card. Should I just leave well enough alone?

Also, I installed the ForceWare 61.11. I don't know if this is the best driver to install, but it seemed to be popular. I tried to install 61.40, but it wouldn't work for some reason. Any other suggestions for performance increases?

I would leave it alone. It's not like an OC'd 5200 is going to perform well anyway....
Definetly run the latest drivers, no reason to make it slower than it has to be.

Haha, ok, that's what I wanted to hear! "OCForums! We work towards hardcore performance, but we have practical common sense to boot!" :D

Any opinions on the best driver? I haven't owned an nVidia card for 3 years, so I haven't been keeping up with the driver literature... :rolleyes:

What driver is compatable with my GeForce FX Go 5200 64MB? I tried installing a normal detonator, but it doesn't seem to be working with my card. Am I supposed to install a special mobile video adapter driver?

Did you bother looking on the link I posted? There are drivers specifically for your laptop video.

blurry said:
Did you bother looking on the link I posted? There are drivers specifically for your laptop video.

I did, but I got a bunch of errors when I tried to install the detonator version 53.03 as recommended by the site.

Try some of the Omega drivers. I know that he said on his website that he had some issues with them on laptop vid cards and fixed them. Give em a try. Use the performance drivers when installing them. Work good for me, but I have desktop 5200.

Seabee said:
Try some of the Omega drivers. I know that he said on his website that he had some issues with them on laptop vid cards and fixed them. Give em a try. Use the performance drivers when installing them. Work good for me, but I have desktop 5200.

By "performance" do you mean the "quality" or "speed" driver?

It shoud say "quality" or "performance" exactly. I use the 53.03 Omegas and that is how it is put. I dont know if any of the other versions or the ATI ones are different.

Seabee said:
It shoud say "quality" or "performance" exactly. I use the 53.03 Omegas and that is how it is put. I dont know if any of the other versions or the ATI ones are different.

I finally got the WHQL 53.03 driver to work with the hacked INF. Should I just go with this instead?

What are you going to do with that laptop? If your going to play games I recommed the Omega drivers. If not, those should work fine for you.

I'm not going to be doing much gaming on this laptop. Its purpose is to serve as a mobile workstation, not as a gaming machine. However, I would still like it to be set up for maximum performance. What are the risks of using an Omega driver as opposed to a normal one?

in contradiction to my OCing friends here, I would say OC that card. I got an 8600 dell with the 32mb go5200 and i'll let you in on a few things that perhaps my buds don't know. First is that the go5200s are massively underclocked and I don't mean 2d vs 3d settings. If you view the nvidia website, you'll see the clocks are 300mhz and 600mhz for core and memory while most 3d settings are for 200 and 400mhz. While this saves some power and lowers temps, it is definately overkill for what any decently constructed laptop can handle. I currently have my go5200 Ocd to a perminent running 200/500 for non gaming and perhaps some small gaming and my idle gpu temps are 118F. This goes up to about 135F after 5loops of 3dmark2001. I have stabilized it to 265/555 and the max temps there are 145F (it's more of a power restraint than temps). The go5200s temp tolerances are high too. Download I8kfangui and you'll be able to set profiles or constant fan activation for your lappy to help with cooling. you can go to notebookforums.com and look at their ocing threads for your specific laptop and see what people have done. notice no reports of dead LCDs from this, i'm not sure exactly why that stigma is there. Anyhoo, point being, it's more than possible and worthwhile and one should not be afraid. laptop cpu ocing may be a different matter (when possible), but my dell is locked in that respect but with idle temps at 86F and full load at 123F, you bet I'd knock that up to 1.6ghz instead of 1.5 . If anyone has Qs or comments, feel free.

Back