• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gainward 5900xt to 5950

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

_slh_

Ive got a Gainward 5900xt 'golden sample'. Stock settings on it are 450 core and 780 memory. Havent tried going any higher with it yet. Anyone had any experience of flashing this card ro a 5950? Or know where I can get a Gainward 5950 bios from to try it myself? Also, does anyone know if theres a temp monitor on this card? And if there is, how to enable the temp reading in my display properties, as there isnt anything there at the moment.

i'm sure if there is a temp monitor it would already be enabled and should be on the menu list to your left under the video card settings. i don't believe the 5900xt's come with the temp monitor, at least from what i'm hearing from other people. i have an xfx 5900xt and i do not have the temp monitor. my 5700u did though :-/

i also flashed my 5900xt to a 5950u using gainward bios.

go here for some BIOS and flash utilities

http://www.mvktech.net/download.php

Hi all,

I just got this card today, to replace a PNY 5200 ultra and have had nothing but problems with it. Do you mind me asking what might be the better drivers to use? I started off with the drivers that came with the card and all I got was random boot ups, then I installed the latest drivers from gainwards site and still random boots.... and sometimes after the random boots the whole system will shut down except for the power supply and drives they are still running. I've got a 400w Antec ps on this thing and what i was thinking is that it should have enough power. I'm wondering if maybe the card is bad and maybe I should send it back. I didn't have these problems with the other card. Since you guys have dealt with Gainward cards maybe you know what's up with it. Any thoughts?

blurry, thanks for the site. If this doesn't work I'm rma'ing the card back to NewEgg!

Didnt have any problems with mine using either Gainwards drivers or the latest detonators from Nvidia. Id send the card back.

Just flashed to 5950u using the gainward bios...no problems as yet, gained 500 in 3dmark03, havent run aquamark yet. Ill give it a couple of hours of ut2004 later, see how it holds up

guys..i have the chaintech 5900xt. Im just curious about the 5950 flash. Does anyone here think the chaintech could handle the flash. My card does alright for gaming. I just figure if i can get more out of it. Why not try! Only thing im scared of is this is my only card and if the chaintech doesnt like the overclock. Wil i be able to go back to the 5900xt bios?

Oh yea...the chaintech does have the temp mon. but its been steady at like 40c ...even full load...so im wondering if its right.

slh,

Ya don't think it might be the power supply? Here are my spec's.

W2k
Soltek nforce2
Amd 2500 barton (clocked fsb to 2.2G)
Ozc 3200 el series 2-2-3-6
Thermaltake Silent boost
PNY Nvidia 5200 ultra
40G Maxtor
SB Audigy Z2
LAN card
400w Antec
6 in 1 card reader
DVD drive
CD RW drive
Klipsch 5.1
4 generic case fans
Li Lian PC-60

ran this system without in trouble, then replaced the 5200 with a 5900xt 256MB golden sample and all I get is random boots and shutdowns. I'm thinking maybe not enough juice..I went ahead and ordered a Thermatake 480w to see if that makes a difference before I send the card back, if not then I have a spare ps....never no when ya might need one.
Tell me what ya think...bad card or more power?

Last edited:
wouldnt have thought so...your psu is way better than mine (crappy qtec 550w). Any way you can try the card in another rig before you go spending money on a new psu?

definitely not your psu

i'm runnin on a 350w psu that came with my case. also got 7 case fans and a vantec dual pci slot fan and my video card is giving me no problems.

Back