• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old Lappy + Windows NT needs internet

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lat

My sister went to new york for a work term, and moved into an apartment with dsl.

Basically, she needs a pcmcia card (preferably wireless) to hook her up to the 'net.

Unfortunately, the lappy (an old p100 :-/) has winNT installed on it (and no she isn't computer literate enough to be capable of installing win98 or anything)

I looked at various pcmcia cards on newegg, and then at the manufacturer's mother sites to see whether or not the drivers supported winnt or not, but most of them only have win 98/me/2k/xp drivers

So i'm wondering...can anybody refer me to an inexpensive (sub $30US preferably) pcmcia wireless card that has winNT drivers, and is sold at a respectable online vendor?

Or better yet, does anybody know whether or not win2k drivers work or not on winNT (i'm thinking not, but, hey, i wouldn't know)

Thanks in advance for the quick answer

Hmm...

A pentium 100 laptop running NT is very very very very very old.

If she absolutely must use it with a wireless network, get an orinoco card perhaps. Orinoco Gold and Silver cards have good driver support, and are some of the best cards around. I got my Gold card a few months back for $50 shipped. I forget the vendor, but if you're interested I'll find it again.

Otherwise, for a minimum of configuration, get a PCMCIA NIC, then plug that into a wireless bridge. No wireless hassles with NT, only ethernet hassles- which aren't too bad.

-ben

thanks for the advice

the problem is i don't really want to spend $50US on a card that would probably be worth more the the laptop. haha.

do you know which pcmcia nics support winnt? might just get one of those and forget about wireless

it shouldn't be too hard to find one, especially a 10mbps one, seems like the most you would need for a system like that. and btw, nt rox0rs my boxers.

problem solved - she stopped by a compusa to buy some belkin pcmcia card

and it has winnt drivers

so all is well - assuming i can manage to guide her w/ the installation over the phone :rolleyes:

oh yeah, i installed nt cuz it does rock...waaay more stable than win98, and it actually runs half-decently on a p100 =P with 16 megs of ram =D

Back