• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Theater Research - Scam or Legit?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jman999

I've pretty much settled on the Logitech Z-2200 since I can't afford a home theater system, but just for curiosity's sake I went over to ebay. Do a general search for theater research and you get products varying in price from $50 to >$1000. There are systems such as this one with a starting price of $50 and no reserve that is supposedly a $1600 system. Are all these systems scams or are these legitimate deals?

What do you think?

I found an article about these speakers :here

International Speaker Scams

This turns out to be a scam of international proportions ( Canada, U.S., Australia, U.K., Netherlands, Germany, Japan, Switzerland ). There are even web sites specifically devoted to exposing it.

Essentially it involves selling cheaply made, but impressive looking, home stereo speakers under the names:
Acoustic Response Series 707, Acoustic Image, Acoustic Lab Technology, Acoustic 3312 Studio Monitor
Dogg Digital, Digital Dogg Audio
Dahlton KV 1500, Dahlton KV 2500 TI Speakers, Dahlton AV5.1 THX
Grafdale,
Digital Pro Audio, Pro Audio, Digital Pro Audio SL-T 2.8,
Digital Audio SL-3810, Digital Audio DA 2000SL / 2000CS, Digital Audio 2000, Digital Audio Professional Speaker Systems SL-3810, Digital Audio Skyline 900-SL, Digital Audio SL-3910 Speakers, Skyline AD-900SL, Digital Audio 2003 DA 5.1 Pro-Series III
Digital Research 5.1 Pro Series, Digital Research DA 5.1 Pro Series III
Dynalab
Audiofile 835LR, Audiofile 583LR
Denmark
Epiphany Audio speakers
Theater Research TR-1120, Theater Research TR-6000, Theater Research TR-1410 Digital Sound Speakers, Theater Research TR-900 Speakers, TR-5210 Professional Home Theater, Theater Research TR-2810, TR900, TR-6100 Digital Sound/5.1 Home Cinema, Theater Research Pro Series III Professional Home Theater TR5160
8810 Linear phase studio monitors
Cerwin-Vega AVS-632 Surround Sound, Cerwin Vega AVS 632 Speakers
Protecsound PT-5000 digital surround sound system speakers

using a variety of ruses out of the back of vans and SUV's. Most shocking is that it appears to be some kind of franchise operation for cons with impressive brochures, van decals, and a bogus website to delude you into believing you have gotten quite a deal.

-Did you notice the reference to those same speakers on that ebay page? One thing to keep in mind...if it sounds too good to be true, beware.
It's almost "amusing" to see the how far some people will go to scam people. Anyway, just thought I'd pass this along....

Back