• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

firefox is a memhog

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

drewthomas14

i have one window open, to this page, and it's using 39,640kb . that seems like a lot for one page. is there something wrong , or does firefox just use a lot of memory?

yes it does use a lot of memory...but its really not that bad. i mean, most people have 512MB of ram or more here, so its not like it hurts much. its worth it for how fast it is, to me anyway.

no it depends on the page..the whole page gets loaded to RAM so if there is alot of pics text ec.t it will use more mem...open firefox to google..how much ram it using?

IE 6 uses 16.3MB on google home page.

Firefox uses 16.8Mb...so meh about even

Last edited:
Tabbrowser Extensions has some memory issues, so if anybody here is using it, that could explain high use.

I use it, and I definatly notice the memory use. Last night Firefox was using ~100MB of memory with 7 tabs open, and even after closing all of them the memory was not freed. /me hopes the memory issues get fixed, since even with 512MB of RAM, I'm still a sticker on how much is used :D

JigPu

If you have 512+ MB of RAM then it's not like 30+kb really is that much. I always close my broswer windows when I play a game anyway.

Calculusaurus said:
If you have 512+ MB of RAM then it's not like 30+kb really is that much. I always close my broswer windows when I play a game anyway.
i prolly shouldnt be worried , cuz i have 1gb of ram. and thanks to me super awesome tweaking skills, im only using 100mb even for background program. that's with avg 7.0 pro , that i decided to install(btw i love this antivirus proggy).

Oni said:
Meh. A small price to pay for fast, secure browsing.

Oh, jsyk, Firefox 0.9.1 was released on the 26th.

i saw that...whats the change? if thereres nothing big then why download it?

wizard james said:
i saw that...whats the change? if thereres nothing big then why download it?

Pro'lly just patching a few issues or bugs. Firefox is still beta software, and will be 'till 1.0 is released.

I installed 0.9.1. It didn't blow up my old 0.9 install in any way. Seamless.

Back