• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is this whole socket T Business?\what do you guys reccomend

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Darryl_D

hey guys finally!!!! going baCK TO INTEL! (gAVE MY OL amd rig to sister...)

okay i've been out of the whole loop for a while, and saw this new prescott p4 bASED off of a socket 7 (it was like lgg7a or something or other) what's up with that??? do you guys think that i should get me one of those instead of the regular old 2.8c that i was looking at???

also the motherboard i am planning on going with is the abit ic7 g max 2... (do you guys reccomend something else or is it cool?)

to sum up... what is this socket t stuff???

secondly, should i get a prescott or stay with a 2.8c (keep in mind rig is goig to be used throughout my 4 yeras of college...)
and finally, do you think the abit ic7gmax2 will cut it?? if not any other motherboards are welcomed....

Hey there DD! The new socket LGA775 is found mainly on the new i915/i925 chipsset mobos. Abit does have an oddball AS8 that has a i865 chipset with the socket T. The only CPUs available so far in this new socket is the Prescott. There are rumors that Intel put some sort of O/C restriction on these chipsets. Both new chipsets require the new PCI-Express vid card and the i925 requires DDR2 RAM. Here are a couple links to get you up to speed.

http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=686&s=1

http://www.anandtech.com/chipsets/showdoc.html?i=2088

If you are on a budget, I'd stay with your plan of getting the IC7-G, but I'd get a 3.0C instead of the 2.8C. Lots of these new 3.0C's are hitting 250 FSB or 3.75 gig. The Northwood runs lots cooler than the Prescotts. The Northwoods only need good air cooling, but the Prescotts should have at least watercooling for the same amount of O/C. The performance up into the 3.6 to 3.75 gig range is nearly equal between them.

YA I GOTCHA BATBOY... only thing is is tyhat i still have my pc2700 which i am goig to use in the rig... so ya gonna have to run mem at 3:2
(if i wanna o/c it) or maybe i'll hit it 5:4 and just see how high it;ll go... oh well..... unless somehow magicallly i charge some pc3700 on my credit card... i think i might just do that ;)

You only have one stick of that PC2700? You want two sticks for dual channel. Perhaps you need to sell that PC2700 and get 2X512 of something better.

ya i was thinking of buying another stick of the pc2700... but i don't know if i should just get two sticks of pc 3700 (2 256mb chips as oppossed to 1 512 mb stick) only thing is i won't have a gig of ram... just 512... we'll see how it all plays out

You definitely need two sticks. Unlike AMD, Intel systems really love dual channel. It nearly doubles the memory bandwidth. You would be much better off and also you would be future proofing your system if you dumped the PC2700 and got faster RAM. These P-4's love higher DDR speeds. If this system has to last you a couple years... I'd try scraping up enough cash for 2X512 if possible, although 2X256 would get you by for now.

Back