• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is the p4 or athlon 64 at an end???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Darryl_D

okay guys my sister fryed her comp, so i gave her my comp (the one you see in the siggy)... So basically right now i'm running off an old celeron 533mhz with 256mb sdram... on win me... <y questoin is should i buy a new comp now??? or should i wait off. I mean i bought the athlon xp system of mine only a year ago, and its already considered obsolte... there are no more new cpus coming out for good ol socket a anymore.

Is the same thing happening with the p4's and te a64's?
I don't want to waste some 500 dolars on new a64 or p4 system, only to find that i've hit a dead end, and no more processors for the current sockets are being made. plus with the whole pci-e coming out, and ddr2 coming out should i just wait? Keep in mind i am going to college like august 28th.... should i just take this current rig with me (whyich believe me is sooo unbearably slow that you wouldn't even believe) and hol d off till next year when we'l start seeing some of the new technology coming into play?

Well I always think, I will just wait for this, or that, and years go by and I am still waiting. I would just get a system with the socket 939 (the most upgradeability) and be happy. Assume you only have it for 4 years or so, it should still be an good/great system. I say go for it now and just enjoy it.

I have both the AMD and Intel rigs, and of course it depends on what you want with it. Honestly I myself will go with another AMD rig. But I to am in the "wait" patern.

I think both CPU's still have life in them....but honestly, how many Epox 8k7a's do you see running bartons? I meen they can, there socket A and DDR. I don't see many people upgrade just a CPU (unless they want just a better OC, or if they upgrade it's a very small upgrade to satisfy an urge, not a necessity).

I also think the question isn't what platform to go with (AMD or Intel) but who's gonna have a working PCI-E platform. Video cards IMO are the one thing that really needs to be upgraded often, and AGP is going to die out.

And if you want upgradeability then A64 (because of it's 64bit) is the way to go, I'm not sure about which socket there keeping or ditching (If there ditching 754 then go 939).

PCIe and DDR2 have me waiting. I was contemplating building an entirely new system, but instead I dumped a few bucks into my old A7N8X to hold me over. Once PCIe and DDR2 have come down in price a bit, I'm going to pop.

I will recommend you to get the A64 939 socket with PCI-Express. This will be your best bet.

Back