• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Convince You to use winXP!! Check it out

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oc jason

Well i took the XP route and installed it last night, i was skeptical also like many of you but... i made some nice discoveries. With the help of"TweakXp" the TweakUI for the XP operating system, you can get a whole new way to get custom settings on your system and these are my findings.

All pics are 100% genuine and are not altered in any way

Below are the seting used for all tests--1024x960 32bit high color

and the 12.40 drivers ill do more tests wiht the 12.90's tonight and alsot he XP drivers the14.61's

This was the FPS in 2nd game 1st test. Without TweakXP running

I used the FPS at the end of the test so i could get the FPS over the entire average time not just a high FPS at the start of the Test

The highest FPS acheived in the test was 228 FPS

Last edited:
This is with TweakXP running - once again FPS was taken at the same time of the other picture above(end of test).

Max FPS on this run was 298 FPS!!

Yes its only a 100+ point gain in 3dmark but thats 70FPS more at the max, and 80.65 FPS more on average with the pics shown above- That is something to get excited about!!!

These are what programs are running immediatly after a fresh bootup - its way less then my 2k box had running at a fresh boot up, and thats after a clean install

And here are picture of the tweak menus thatwere used to change suystem settings(what got my high FPS)

I coulnt fit allof the picture inther but this is of the Memory Optimazation menu, also there was cache tweaking along with cpu optimazation- for ALL chips

Again i cannot fit all of the picture in ther but this if of the connection and modem tweaks and yes i do get an average of 30-38k faster dl speedfrom net and not got 1482kdl sec on dslreports.com

Notice the tweak buttons at the top left!!

Last edited:
Please give feedback as i took time to show you that XP is nt suchj a bloated hog that all think, give it a try and see how well it improves you system - i did this on a 750 and pc100 so imagine what a 1gig+ and some high FSB will do!!!

Feel Free to ask me ?'s if i am online - well happy tweaking to ya and sorry for taking up so much space skip

PS again all pics and screenshots are 100% unaltered except to make fit on the server:) I am very happy with XP!!

I look forward to getting it with my laptop with an upgrade coupon thing, but maybe I'll download it for my desktop :D

Last edited:
I am going to have to give tweak xp a try, that looks pretty nice. The most offensive thing is system restore although it didn't seem like quite the hog that it is in ME. Also I like switching back to classic mode guess I am just to used to the old locations of things. Overall I do like XP a lot it runs quite fast and I have not had any crashes yet.

Was it the Personal or Professional Edition?

Just wondering, I thought I saw on TechTV that the Professional did not have the activation nightmares of the personal. Granted that was early in the beta stages. I have numerous things about XP, good and bad.

I am about to install XP RC2 on my pc at work. Going to dual boot with Win2K Pro. Anyone done that?

I glad that you are happy with it, :) although there is nothing in your post that would convince me to try WinXP.
I still personally think that the OS looks 'childish' and to state that WinXP is not bloated could be due to the fact that by your own admitence, all this information was taken after " after a clean install ".. when a OS has a clean install its known to run faster and better. Give it a few months with MS Office and all your other software and after this period I would be interested in hearing an updated view

Obviously its all opinions, however XP has features I do not need as does Office XP which now features a real time word count feature (why??) it is features such as these that make Office XP bloated and likewise the same can be said about WinXP from what I have seen of it. IMHO

Last edited:
Yes it is Professional

You have misunderstood i dont mean a clean install on XP i mean there is less running after startup on XP then a clean install of 2000Pro - therefore XP uses less as an operating system - it is only a hog cause we make it be. but after a clean install of both Xp runs way less than 2k does

also did u ever get that kind of inprovements from some software - and have you ever gotten over 300FPS because of an Operating System -same card & setting on 2000 got less than half that. With 2000 i only got 3982 3dmarksm, and like 142FPS max

using non XP drivers will really hurt this Operating System at least in the video dept - i installed the 12.90's which were aweome on my 2000 box , but dropped to3289 3dmarks - will post a pic later, and didnt break even 100FPS at all - when previously i hit over 300 but couldnt catch it or duplicate it?!?!?

Back