• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How safe is it to bump up the FSB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DaMobster

I just got the Corsair XMS 3200 Low Latency XL at 2-2-2 5. The Corsair website said the pair would be stable at 500Mhz... My question is if I set my FSB to 250, would it be safe for my ram and my CPU (don't know if FSB affects CPU temp), or would they over-heat? I'm using Thermaltake POLO 735 Extreme 3 in 1 CPU Cooler for my CPU, and the rest of my system is listed below...

if you monitor your temps you shouldent have a problem with that RAM it says 250MHz but chances are it can go a good deal higher then that. ive had my 200mhz PC3200 running at 240FSB @ 2.9vdimm just fine still 1:1...and upping your FSB wont affect your temps but ull need to up ur Vcore which will.

Theres almost *no* chance in you damaging the RAM by upping the FSB only. The worst thing to happen is a BSOD, or your PC not booting. Just get out the BIOS battery then and retry.

More voltage will be needed for a higher overclock, but untill 3.2vdimm i would call safe.

Back