• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2.8c Firs time OC'ing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Maxwell Murder

Hey guys this is my first time overclocking. I primed95 for 8hours, stable. Now I can't seem to get higher

Abit IC7 MAX3
2.8c M0 Stepping SP-94 w/ 92mm AS5
Corsair PC3500CL2

Running at
3,300 1:1 FSB 236
CPU 1.6v
RAM 2.9v
with 2-3-3-6 AAADD

Last edited:
I don't know much about that memory, but it might be either you ram or you timings. I would do a search and see if you can find someone else with that memory. You might have to 5:4.

I'm in the process of overclocking my first 2.8C as well. ATM, I am up to 240FSB (3368MHz) at 1.575v. I am stability testing right now with P95 and F@H, its been running for a while and I'm pretty sure its going to be stable. My ratio is 5:4 as well because I have PC3200 RAM and I'm not sure it can do 240.

Let me know how it goes for you, PM me or something. :)

You have to look at the bottom of the CPU to count the caps. Most if not nearly all the M0's are 30 cappers.

Looks like your RAM was holding you back a little since you were able to go higher ar the 5:4 ratio. Now that you are at 5:4 though, you don't need that much vdimm (2.7v or 2.8v maybe?) and you can probably tighten the timings to 2,3,3,6. Update the BIOS if you haven't already done so. Make sure the AGP/PCI is fixed to 66/33.

I finally got the heatsink seated like I wanted it, so I'm not going to take it off for a while, its likely I have 30 caps since it is a new chip, made in May.

@Sjaak: What Vcore did you use to get your 265FSB on the 2.8C?

Cool, I haven't worked my voltage up that high yet, that's probably as high as I'll want to take in anyway. I'm shooting for 250FSB, but I'll take it higher if it will go. What cooling do you use and how are your temps? I know the IC-7s read temps high, I have one.

I also got a 30 cap 2.8C. I can do 3.5 stable and it will boot up to 3.8. I'm a little disapointed since this is barely better than the 2.4C mo in my sig....oh well

invisible hand said:
I also got a 30 cap 2.8C. I can do 3.5 stable and it will boot up to 3.8. I'm a little disapointed since this is barely better than the 2.4C mo in my sig....oh well

i know what you mean....i was dissapointed as well in my 3.0C because i was used to a 2.0A that did 3.8Ghz. the 3.0C couldnt even match that. (both on air).

Well the most I can get it is to 3.4 with the RAM, ive tried diffrent timings, volting those timings up and down, going back to 1:1. Just a no go how ever I try. Probally going to sell the two sticks and get some PC4400 Corsair XMS, I got a good deal off of a friend who wants to sell his two sticks. Any other suggestions guys please post away, thanks again for all your help!

I was a little dissapointed in my 2.8c as well, it could run fine at 250 fsb, but even one past that, with .5v more vcore, and it was a no go.

Back