• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what does this mean on the athalon 64's???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Darryl_D

i was looking at some athalon 64's on newegg (as i couldn't resis the urge of getting farcry for free!!!!!) And under fsb (i checked so i would know what kind of mem to buy to keep up with the fsb) it say's fsb integrated into chip??? what does that mean? (as i know very little bout the athlon 64's... haven't looked into getting one till now) should pc2700 be able to cut it?

Well, on the Hammer- technology, the memory controller, origiinally located in the so called northbridge is integrated in the CPU- therefore it's much faster than any other home-pc- processor.
Since you don't need an external mc any more, there's actually no need for northbridge/ southbridge- solution, and Nvidia's doing a singlechip- design- which I think is worse than VIA's K8T800Pro.

Athlon 64 (U mean the fx, I guess) doesn't make the way to the memory over the chipset, it's directly linked- so you can hardly talk about "fsb". You could call it memoryspeed.
The link to external features (the chipset) is done by Hypertransport, a pretty fast link. Right now I think it can do 6,4GB/s- or was it 8GB? I don't know right now.

Well, your second question: yes, the PC2700 will cut the Power of the A64, but not as hard as it did during the NForce2- time. You'll just miss some bandwith.

The intent was there, but the way it was stated by Newegg is a bit misleading. Athlon 64's, as well as FX's and Opterons have the memory controller integrated into the core. The significance would be that your memory controller now runs at the same core speed of your cpu. This effectively eliminates the traditional front side bus design between the processor and the north bridge.

Last edited:
so then what does memory speed account for in athlon64 rigs??? it's basicallly entirely eliminated... the only thing that really matters then is the amount of memory you have and not really the speed of it?

Darryl_D said:
so then what does memory speed account for in athlon64 rigs??? it's basicallly entirely eliminated... the only thing that really matters then is the amount of memory you have and not really the speed of it?

The most significant advantage of an on-die memory controller is the very very low latency in regards to access time. Just because the traditional fsb has been eliminated doesn't entirely mean that memory speed isn't that important at all. Of course it still helps. Its just that this time, the processor has a much, much faster way to access memory, regardless of your ram speed. Given this, you can then realize that using PC3200 instead of PC2700, for example, will be more desirable for the added bandwidth of the PC3200. Latency and bandwidth. The Hammer architecture already has the low latency, so ram speed still matters since feeding that latency with more bandwidth will only help gain more performance.

No, athlon64 cannot run asynchron- because there is no realation to what it should be async.
The only advantage of new/ good memory modules is the higher bandwith- which is the main bottleneck of the hammer- solved with dualchannel on S939 and s940

Yea they can, using ratio's. 5:4 3:2. Instead of 1:1, thier isn o way in hell youre ganna get youre memory up to 300HTT/300FSB

Thats why you can use ratios to run Async, doing this doesnt affect performance like it doeso n the socket A's.

You are very deffiant today arent you ? Iv been researching this stuff forever.

Thier is FSB on the A64 platform, just not for the cpu. The cpu is using HTT Hyper transport tech. The fsb is onlyfor the memory. Thus thier are still ratios for Sync and Async. This is why you see people running 250HTT and only 210fsb, or diff things like 300HTT and 270fsb

CandymanCan said:
You are very deffiant today arent you ? Iv been researching this stuff forever.

Thier is FSB on the A64 platform, just not for the cpu. The cpu is using HTT Hyper transport tech. The fsb is onlyfor the memory. Thus thier are still ratios for Sync and Async. This is why you see people running 250HTT and only 210fsb, or diff things like 300HTT and 270fsb

I'm sorry for that asynchron- thing- I thoght I had read it on P3D, but unfortunatly I was wrog (at last that's what I think).

On the other hand, you made a mistake too: FSB is not for the memory, it's for all but the memory. What you call fsb on socket a or s478 is HT- link on hammer, but without the memory- link.

P.S.: got PM

Last edited:
Back