• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need a new charger for a older laptop, reccomendations?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TommyHolly

OK, my Girlfriend's laptop is an old HP 400Mhz. For no reason the other day, the power pack (NOT THE BATTERIES, they are fine and brand new), but the power pack that plugs into the wall no longer works. I took the thing apart to test it with a volt meter. Power is definately going into it, but not out. (Beleive me I got shocked fiding that out...ugh). The power pack is done and I'm going to need a new one.

Because you guys know all about anything PC related I fiure I ask you. She looked up prices for a new universal charger and found one from Best Buy for $79.99. Because power packs are universal and can be found anywhere I'm sure much cheaper than that, where should I look?

Here is the specs of it:
1. Power Pack is labeled HP F1454A AC/DC Adapter
2. Input: 100-240V-1.3A 50/60Hz
3. Output: 19V-3.16A
4. S/N 4022007064002301
5. It has a standard plug into the laptop that you would see on a small keyboard, Atari 2600, or a small toy. (It does not have a special shape like a Dell power plug)

As you can see, it basically takes a 120V wall socket and turns it into 19V. You can find these things at a Wallmart for like $15 but I don't think that the Amps would match because when you go cheap, it does not label the outputs. Can anyone post a link where I could find a cheap replacement please.

THANKS!

The reason they cost so much is because they are regulated power supplies. Whatever you do, dont skimp on a power supply.

I found that same one at www.pricewatch.com kct2

I think I'm going to get that one for $33 shipped. I have to say, pricewatch almost always has people willing to sell stuff way, waaaaay cheaper than NewEgg or TigerDirect.

I have never bought anything off of E-Bay yet. I have heard too many horror stories and if something goes wrong, there is little to no chance I'll get my money back.

Thanks for the effort of looking on there though, I appreciate it. For a difference of $10, I'll think I will stick with Pricewatch.

Targus brand is the best to go when problems occur likes that cause they have various power aapters. BTW I don't like the idea of using a some other crap on your laptop even though they mention they give the correct ones it is not good idea iether. You've mention power is coming to the unit then most probably what has happen is the power cord connecting to the computer side has been internatlly damaged whixh is hapenning to most of the users. So the best thing is to repalce that wire. Well anyway it seems like you've already taken the decision to change it but i'd say don't throw the old one just give a try it's worth to be treat like that way for one more time. :burn:

Back