Thread: Random Failure

Registered

Random Failure

Just as of yesterday, my computer has been doing very strange things. The monitor will all of the sudden say "no signal input"....Of course, video card is the first thing I would blame. I have a gf 4200ti... the weird thing is, there are no errors, and the computer is still running, and when I restart, the video works fine for a bit, but then cuts out again. Oh, and the video card is not overclocked at all....

Any suggestions?

Forums Super Moderator
    Overclockers.com Lead Editor

10 Year Badge
    Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile
    I'll go over the basic things before we get to complicated.

- Monitor Power cable. Is it working and inserted properly? Is there any possibility that it is getting nudged loose?

- Monitor Data cable? Screwed on to the card properly? Not damaged?

- Any other problems video wise? Any artifacts or the like?
    David J. Nelson MChem(Edin) PhD(Strath) MRSC [ResearcherID: D-3927-2011] [Google Scholar]
    OC Forums Super Moderator // Overclockers.com Editor

The Workhorse: [Lenovo W510] Intel Core i7-720QM / 8 GB DDR3 / nVidia Quadro FX880M / Crucial M4 256 GB SSD / Windows 7
    The Home Machine: AMD Llano A6-3650 APU / 8 GB DDR3 / Lots of HDDs / Antec Dark Fleet DF-85 Case / Windows 7
    The Benchmarking Setup: Various LGA775 chips / Asus Rampage Formula / 2 GB OCZ 1066 MHz DDR2 / nVidia Quadro NVS 285 / 320 GB HDD / Windows 7 [ Untouched for well over a year ]

My research fellowship is eating all my time, so I may be slow to reply to emails and private messages.

Registered
    Montor power cable is connected....data cable screwed in properly. Heck, it hasn't been messed with in months and it has been working fine. Nothing has changed, it just all of the sudden started this. There have been no other problems.

Just to figure out if it was just my video cutting out on me....I had music playing in the background, the music stopped right as the video cut out... Not sure if this indicates that something else is failing, or just that if the video card fails, the motherboard doesn't know how to handle it.

Registered
    right now i swapped out the gf4200ti for a gf3...and its behaving...oddly to say the best. (i have the most updated nvidia drivers installed..) and the video is flashing in and out randomly....

Registered
    any other suggestions?

Heatware Profile
    okay to me it seems, that if two cards are having problems its either your pci or agp slot. Depending which type of card it is

10 Year Badge
    Heatware Profile
    Hmm, if it's the system in your sig, you might need to update the bios. I've got the same mobo and just flashed with latest bios. Not a single problem.

These are the other parts:

XP1600 Pali (unlocked)
    Zalman CNPS7000A-AlCu
    512mb Mushkin
    GF2 Ultra
    40gb seagate
    3Com nic
    300w PC&C

Folding away @ 1.6Ghz rock steady stable.

Might be your psu also.

<MEGA-O>
    ASRock Z97 Extreme 6 /i7 4790K De-Lid @ 4.7GHz
    16GB GSKILL Sniper F3-17000CL11D-8GBSR @ 2400MHz
    H2O = XSPC Rasa Black / XSPC RX360 / XSPC D5 Dual Bay Res V1
    Corsair Force GS SSD 128GB / WD VelociRaptor 300GB
    Gigabyte GV-R797OC-3GD WF3 Flashed = R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    SilverStone Zeus SST-ZM1350 1350w
    CM Cosmos 1000 / Win8.1 x64
    ** Under TITLE II, SECTION 210.340 it is legal to overclock **

Registered
    In case anyone else has this same type of video failure....I think I found my problem:

After replacing both the motherboard and the powersupply I no longer have problems. I was thinking about just replacing one or the other...but I feared that one of them would ruin any other new component I paired it with.

wow, sorry to hear it man. That bites the big one. Glad you found it before it had a chance to short and fry every other component in your box though. Best of luck with the new board and PSU.