• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Random Failure

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JSealy00

Registered
Just as of yesterday, my computer has been doing very strange things. The monitor will all of the sudden say "no signal input"....Of course, video card is the first thing I would blame. I have a gf 4200ti... the weird thing is, there are no errors, and the computer is still running, and when I restart, the video works fine for a bit, but then cuts out again. Oh, and the video card is not overclocked at all....

Any suggestions?

I'll go over the basic things before we get to complicated.

- Monitor Power cable. Is it working and inserted properly? Is there any possibility that it is getting nudged loose?

- Monitor Data cable? Screwed on to the card properly? Not damaged?

- Any other problems video wise? Any artifacts or the like?

Montor power cable is connected....data cable screwed in properly. Heck, it hasn't been messed with in months and it has been working fine. Nothing has changed, it just all of the sudden started this. There have been no other problems.

Just to figure out if it was just my video cutting out on me....I had music playing in the background, the music stopped right as the video cut out... Not sure if this indicates that something else is failing, or just that if the video card fails, the motherboard doesn't know how to handle it.

right now i swapped out the gf4200ti for a gf3...and its behaving...oddly to say the best. (i have the most updated nvidia drivers installed..) and the video is flashing in and out randomly....

okay to me it seems, that if two cards are having problems its either your pci or agp slot. Depending which type of card it is

Hmm, if it's the system in your sig, you might need to update the bios. I've got the same mobo and just flashed with latest bios. Not a single problem.

These are the other parts:

XP1600 Pali (unlocked)
Zalman CNPS7000A-AlCu
512mb Mushkin
GF2 Ultra
40gb seagate
3Com nic
300w PC&C

Folding away @ 1.6Ghz rock steady stable.

Might be your psu also.

In case anyone else has this same type of video failure....I think I found my problem:

P1010016.JPG

P1010018.JPG

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

After replacing both the motherboard and the powersupply I no longer have problems. I was thinking about just replacing one or the other...but I feared that one of them would ruin any other new component I paired it with.

wow, sorry to hear it man. That bites the big one. Glad you found it before it had a chance to short and fry every other component in your box though. Best of luck with the new board and PSU.

:beer:

Back