• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do you guys come up with ideas and themes???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Darryl_D

i've been thinking and thinking and seraching and searching for a good theme or idea for my next case mod. NOTHING HAS COME IN OR CLICKED!!!! i keep thinking maybe i could do this or maybe that would make a cool mod, only thing is that the brain is working, but nothing good is coming out! Does it just randomly happen to you... you'll be sitting down at church and all of a sudden WAMMO!!!! you jump up and scream yes that's it?

Darryl_D said:
i've been thinking and thinking and seraching and searching for a good theme or idea for my next case mod. NOTHING HAS COME IN OR CLICKED!!!! i keep thinking maybe i could do this or maybe that would make a cool mod, only thing is that the brain is working, but nothing good is coming out! Does it just randomly happen to you... you'll be sitting down at church and all of a sudden WAMMO!!!! you jump up and scream yes that's it?

Might not be the appropriate place to scream :D

but yes it just comes to you...eventually...you might like to copy various fascets of others mods too ;)

I have had inspiration in a few different ways:
1) look at a case and see what could be done to it
2) looking at other modded systems and saw things that I thought looked really good and wanted to try to incorporate myself
3) Been sitting and ruminating in general and BAM! The light bulb turns on and I have a brilliant idea. ;)

Note: so far I have had a few genius modding ideas but haven't built any of them yet; all of the stuff I HAVE done is #1 or 2 on my list. :D

By your avatar it looks like you like Star Wars. How about a Death Star PC? That would be cool. But it would be a lot of work to model it. Or just a regular case with a Star Wars theme would be cool too. You could paint it up like the Death Star, or something else from the show.

For lighting you could mock up a cold cathode to look like a light saber. Add a sound effects device to play a sound when you open a CD tray. Example - CD tray opens and <insert Darth Vader breathing here>. That could be done with a simple momentary switch installed into the CD drive under the face plate.

I think that would be cool. Giving ya any ideas yet?

Basically, just think of something you like, and turn it into a computer.

Good design is just following rules. You can pull those design rules out of music theory, human anatomy, graphic design, whatever - yes, even Star Wars sets. There are books and courses on design.

Genius in design is the successful synthesis of incongruous elements or factors. You get that by puzzling over things that never fit before. It starts with problems. When you find a click, that's genius.

By nature we don't make problems for ourselves.

2FastFX said:
By your avatar it looks like you like Star Wars. How about a Death Star PC? That would be cool. But it would be a lot of work to model it. Or just a regular case with a Star Wars theme would be cool too. You could paint it up like the Death Star, or something else from the show.

For lighting you could mock up a cold cathode to look like a light saber. Add a sound effects device to play a sound when you open a CD tray. Example - CD tray opens and <insert Darth Vader breathing here>. That could be done with a simple momentary switch installed into the CD drive under the face plate.

I think that would be cool. Giving ya any ideas yet?

Basically, just think of something you like, and turn it into a computer.

actually i was already thinking about doing a star wars theme... its totally classified information... right now i am picking which components i want to buy for my rig.... i don't got the money to go water coling yet so it won't look as cool but meh...

sometimes strolling down the aisles of home depot, hardware, or auto parts store flips the switch

I like to look through forums for mod ideas. I also consider what things I like such as tv shows, sporting events, ANIME,etc. Then pic a case and start sketching up some preliminary drawings until you get a design you like. Then mod away(once you get the cash to get all the supplies hehe). Oh and not to take away from here but you should check out the Project Imperial Case in the bit-tech.net forums. Great place to look at the articles for mod ideas etc to incorperate into your own design.

I get called a goth a lot. So when I think about doing case mods, game mods, etc. I think to myself: How can i make this into the worst goth cliche ever? Then after I have envisioned that, I add a few burn marks, holes, and chemical burns to the design. Then it becomes perfect. I guess I'm trying to say that my inspiration comes from anything moderately comical in my life that can be twisted around into something really awesome with an inside joke behind it. Any functionality I add to the case is usually only out of necessity. Good luck to you.

:eek: a star wars mod. Can't wait to see it!

Some one did an imperial theme and I've seen a small pc in a DV mask. So those have been done.

I'm an artist by nature, so I'm kind-of oblivious to my own internal dialogues when it comes to design. Essentially I have a set of parameters to which I need a machine to be built, then I figure out how best to modify the machine to fit it's function while still being aesthetically balanced. Function can be as beautiful as pure form, IF great care is taken in the craftsmanship of the work itself.

Darryl_D said:

Actually, a lot of mine have been through divine intervention while on the throne :cool: and a lot of talking to ppl at work

Back