• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

we need better stuff, thermal paste doesn't cut it anymore.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i'm not sure if i'm following the gold foil/gold plate idea right or not, but if i am...i think that it would still require the use of artic silver. the purpose of the foil or plate would be completely different then the purpose of the AS2.

the purpose of the AS2 is to fill in the microscopic gaps where the air would otherwise go and insulate rather than conduct heat. the plate idea would help to spread in exactly the same way that the thicker base of the HSF already does. so if you did add a gold or silver plate, you then need to add two layers of AS2 in order to fill the microscopic gaps on both the hsf/plate side and the core/plate side.

once again, i may be getting the wrong idea from what people have posted about the plates, so plz dont get upset if i'm way off base.

JigPu said:

The heat wouldn't get spread out as good as with a gold plate, but you also notice that most HS (at least the ones I've seen...) have a thickness between the base and the bottom of the pins. The gold foil would transfer it to the HS (better than AS), and then the HS itself would spread out the heat. AS dosen't spread out heat, the thickness of the base is supposed to do that. The gold only needs to get the heat to the HS, so it can radiate. The "thick" base of the HS allows all the pins to get heat.

Just my opinion....
Too bad they can't increase the core size ($$ restrictions someone said)! That would decrease the heat quite a bit!
JigPu

Hey, aren't you the fella that start the super-lengthy thread "Copper and Aluminium" some time back ago? I spent a lot of time there y'know....

Recap:
A thick base is undesireable because it is actually a thermal resistance to the vertical flow of heat. But then a thin one would constrict heat flow sideways so that the outer fins (that are exposed to the most airflow) work at their best. Material wise, a metal with as high a conductivity as possible should be used for the heatsink -but if costs are prohibitive, maybe then just make the base out of it. Compromises are needed during design.

Thermal interface materials ease the passage of heat between contact surfaces by being both as conductive as possible and as 'runny' as possible (being able to fill in micro gaps). Thermal tape by itself actually has a higher thermal conductivity than normal zinc oxide paste but since it doesn't fill in gaps too well, it's a pushover for most O/Cing purposes.

Sorry William, I didn't catch on to the gold foil thingy initially. Was it that the a thin goil foil was supposed to be sandwiched under high pressure between the CPU core and the HSF? If so, the cores might have to be constructed stronger in order to stand up to the pressures needed to squeeze gold molecules in between micro gaps. Extra ceramic substrate thickness might then be needed and it'll retard heat dissipation -a plus and a minus. Maybe the best soln might still have to be a kinda paste...or solder, anyone?

I donno if anyone here is into guns but they make this epoxy that is used for stock bedding

its supposed to have alot of metal in it and is stronger thin JBweld

its called Micro-Bed

gold isnt a very good conducter of heat
electic current - yes one of the best, but not heat

i been thinking and i think i got a idea on a heatsink that will work

never seen anyone try it

but i aint telling...hopeing a heatsink company will work with me and mybe sell the right to them

as for the core on a amd........i think a bigger core would help

look at the Pali. amds the core is bigger

they run cooler.......so......it they made the core half the size of the chip........more heat could tranfur.....but that costs $$$.....they wont do that
so why not a plate made of high thermal compound of multi metals

thats in my mind too and wont tell how to do it

but i think it would work SWEET

need something to suck heat off the core as fast as it can....spread it over the surface of the plate and transfur it to the heatsink over a wider area of the heatsink

this takes hotspots out of the heatsink and will cool more eficaint

yes thermal compund worries me.........got that under construction on the rough draft

wish some big azz heatsink manufactur would PAY me for a idea......i think it would work better than any air cooling out

also fans......need to use bigger / quieter fans...i got a 7 inch , 235 CFM fan i wish i could figure how to mount on this heatsink in my head

and make the air flow MAX with proper turbulance

anyway im rambling on..........

The best option is to completely eliminate the compound (and any other obstacle) entirely, using direct core cooling. I am not sure whether water would cause problems if it were squirted directly on the core, but if it wouldn't cause problems, you could create a water proof seal around the core on the ceramic so that you have water to core contact. The more "layers" of heat transferring material you have, the less efficiently you will transfer heat (this doesn't mean that you won't reach lower temperatures, just that it will be less efficient). Even better would be to use a phase change cooling system. directly on the core.

i know this sound werid but do you think there is a way to dirll a hole directly threw the cpu ( not in the core but in the cermaic next to it i know this would be very very risky but if you could put a couple holes in it you could make it inline with the watercooling tubeing.

other than that the only thing i can think of is try to find ways to space the cpu from the mother board and try to cool it on both sides.

i have this stuff i just got called solder-it and what it is is a liquid solder that you heat up (a cigarette lighter is good enough and it will solder stuff together..it is silver based...the heat of the cpu should be enough to solder..my only worry is that it said dont use it on aluminum.....if i get enough courage(or 150 dollars) i might just try it on my gf2pro...thatthing runs hot as heck

what about some sort of diamond chip or soemthing like that

line the bottom of your heat sink with a diamond dust

just a thought

how far can you sand down the core before it breaks?

*walks up behind 7 of 9 as she is working on a conduit and takes a molecular bonder from her repair kit after recieving a questionable look*

Hehe

Here ya go guys, NOTHING will get your hs and cpu thermaly bonded better... However its perminent :)

One at a time.. one at a time..

*starts taking in flock of cpus with hs* :D

-Trek

gold? gold has a ****tier thermal properties than lead? why would you use it? use some space shuttle tiles too.

~e

Well Gold would be out because it has less thermal conuctivity than silver.

Solid silver would be OK but would break the bank.

How about some diamond powder in a bonding agent?

How about some of the newer graphite compounds for heat sinks?

We could make processor like they did when computers first came out. Every transistor a full size one:D It would be F***ing huge but think of the cooling options and can you say 10-20Vcore? lol

(This post is sarcasm, I know that would never work)

barring a heatspreader to increase the contact patch, the only way to get more transfer is either more/cooler air and efficient use of mass/area (assuming air).

It water is an option, CPU dies could come with a built-in waterblock, with fluid making direct CPU contact. No need for clips then, except to ensure you don't accidentally rip the CPU out of the zif.

An aftermarket version shouldn't be too difficult to design, I'd make the hole only in the center of the unit, with concentric ribs suitable for a gasket material, and wire clips to hold it on firmly. Dunno if you need a special type of water; I mean, can it be more conductive than copper? Put the pump on the outflow line to ensure suction.

Or... my first thought was billions of nanohsf units... trillions for extreme OC heh

Chips with biggercores, more surface area, better insulated chips, so that some kind of water block could be placed over it allowing the water to actually make contact with the core itself ?

Gold? Why gold? Only feature it got is like heavy and it doesn't oxidize at fast as the others.

Isn't silver and copper more efficient ?

If we can't come up with colder cpu's, we have to focus on meaner materials in the heatsinks.

Copper is good... silver is better... pyrolytic graphite is 4-5 times better than silver.. diamond is like twice as good as pyrolytical graphite.

I for one have a slab of pyrolytic graphite at home...
I haven't however machined it into anything useful yet....
Rumor is that PG doesn't conduct heat in all three directions though. But PG is cheaper than diamond :)

/Paxmax

speedy4500 said:
The best option is to completely eliminate the compound (and any other obstacle) entirely, using direct core cooling. I am not sure whether water would cause problems if it were squirted directly on the core, but if it wouldn't cause problems, you could create a water proof seal around the core on the ceramic so that you have water to core contact. The more "layers" of heat transferring material you have, the less efficiently you will transfer heat (this doesn't mean that you won't reach lower temperatures, just that it will be less efficient). Even better would be to use a phase change cooling system. directly on the core.

Discussion on this (and an example :D) can be found here

JB weld wouldn't work very well. I don't advise using it. I mean look at it... It's nothing but a two part 15 or 30 min EPOXY with some METAL FLOATING IN IT.

That'd be TONS worse than just plain old white compound.
-Toysrme

Back