• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new video card or better processor???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Darryl_D said:
hey guys, how do the readeon 9600xt handle far cry??? (how do you think they'll handle hl2???) do you think they will handle it just as good as, or worse then the 9800 pro....

the 9800pro is a far better card...for about the same price too.
get the 9800pro, your face will look like this.... :bday:

mica

or if a9800 is too much look for a 9700PRO :D run far cry more then good enough for me - or did - i hate not having a gaming system now!!! why did i sell it!!

OH yeah - cause i got $1000 :D

i built a rig recently with a 9600pro, my old [email protected] and 512mb mb ram for a friend. he got far cry before i ever did, and he played through the whole thing happily, and i had to admit at the time that it did look sweet, and playable, with somewhat turned down graphics.

Mr Guv, a 2.4c like mine is no more a bottle neck than the average 2.8c, plus i like my fsb too ;)

^^^^ will find the site that did the comparision but from a 2.4c to a 3ghzc was a nice improvement, nothing to jaw drop over, but still an increase - it is nice to know that games are being pushed to the max and now not the vid card - but CPU's are becoming slight bottle necks in some cases.

okay guys let me update... i asked my father blah blah blah... he was like screw that every couple of months you ask me to buy more computer stuff ( :p) he said "why don't you buy a factory built computer) i was like GAAAAAASSSSSSPPPPPP!!!!!! NOT FACTORY BUILT NOT FACTORY BUILT!!!! so i said alright dad if i buy a factroy built comp it'll cost you like 1700 dollars where as if i build my own comp it'll cost you about 1500 dollars and i'll never ask you to buy me more computer stuff. (for maybe 2 weeks ;) ) so thereyou have it. where as before my budget was about 400 dollars now it is 1500 granted i need to wait like 2 weeks before my dad will order any of it but eh i don't mind...

woohoo get the X800XT450$ an FX-53 800$ 2x256MB Corsair XMS Xtreme memory series (DDR3500 or 3200)130$ Get a motherboard to support it!150$ screw the case and hardrive those are easy upgrades for later, (Western Digital 7200RPM 8MB cache sells for 65 at newegg)

A few bucks over 1500$ and u have thee best of thee best
thats what i would do neway^

Neeseius said:
woohoo get the X800XT450$ an FX-53 800$ 2x256MB Corsair XMS Xtreme memory series (DDR3500 or 3200)130$ Get a motherboard to support it!150$ screw the case and hardrive those are easy upgrades for later, (Western Digital 7200RPM 8MB cache sells for 65 at newegg)

A few bucks over 1500$ and u have thee best of thee best
thats what i would do neway^

that is THE BIGGEST disregard for money i have ever seen in my entire life... i like it!!! :)

i was thinking... about this... tell me what you guys think (keep in mind still want to be able to play farcry and hl2 maxxed!!!)

abit ic7g max 3
p4 3.0c
kingwin aluminum case (i mean come on it has to look good and scream i'm an awesome computer doesn't it??)
fortran 530 watt psu
1 gig corsair xms pc3200
ati radeon 9800pro with 256mb ram
creatuve kabs sound blaster audigy 2 gamer
logitechz5300 speakers
and a leadtek pci tv tuner card

what do you guys think?

also, i have another question.. is the x600 better/worse then the 9800 series??? (the pro and xt?) here is the link for the x600 i was looking at...
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=321900
i know its for pci express and probably i would get one of the motherboards made for the 915 and 925 (i think those are the numbers) chipsets... like the only two that newegg sells... (hopefully newegg will have more by the time i order this stuff)

Last edited:
Well with the graphics card, you'd need PCI-E. And well that mobo doesn't have it.

Darryl_D said:
anyone??? i really need your help here guys...

i know its for pci express and probably i would get one of the motherboards made for the 915 and 925 (i think those are the numbers) chipsets... like the only two that newegg sells... (hopefully newegg will have more by the time i order this stuff)

Intel has recalled ALL 915 / 925 chipset boards, there was a error in the ICh6 or something - so i would say wait on one of those chipset boards.

Well i would definately go for a 64bit AMD if i were you, they are cheaper and just as fast if not faster for game. That and you graphics card which sells for 265$ currently at newegg is an easy mod for a 9800XT, if you get a decent HS for it that is. I have a mod that works 100% guarenteed for a 9800pro 256mb to 9800XT mod, exactly step by step. So... that system sounds great, yeah it will play HL2 and farcry w/ relative ezz, but not at no 1600x1200, could only do that with a X800XT or 6800GT

Neeseius said:
Well i would definately go for a 64bit AMD if i were you, they are cheaper and just as fast if not faster for game. That and you graphics card which sells for 265$ currently at newegg is an easy mod for a 9800XT, if you get a decent HS for it that is. I have a mod that works 100% guarenteed for a 9800pro 256mb to 9800XT mod, exactly step by step. So... that system sounds great, yeah it will play HL2 and farcry w/ relative ezz, but not at no 1600x1200, could only do that with a X800XT or 6800GT

hey neeseius can you give me perhaps, a link to the mod??? that would be much appreciated! also i don't plan on modding the fan to my video card... i am going to leave the cooling of the video card the way it is when i buy it... (i dunno maybe i might change it if i absolutely can't do the mod without) do you think that will be a problem when doing the mod?

I have a mod that works 100% guarenteed for a 9800pro 256mb to 9800XT mod, exactly step by step.

there is no such thing as a guaranteed mod - each and every card is different and many people have failed doing this mod.

Back