• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new video card or better processor???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Darryl_D

hey guys, i don't know if my rig right now will be able to take any of the newer dx9 games... here is what i am thinking of buying... a p4 2.8c with an abit ci7 g motherboard... i'm goign to be using my one stick of pc2700 512mb ram... (i know i know... i don't have the money for dual channel right now, i will buy it sooner or later though)... i currently already have an ati radeon 9600 pro... i was wondering should i down scale the processor to like a "b" based processor, and get a 9800 pro? i want the rig to be able to run half life 2 and far cry... very nicely too...

The video card by far will show you the biggest gain from what you have. From there I would personally make the next step to get 1G of ram, as I had 512 in rig #2 in my sig and far cry would frequently slow down when the memory had to swap. It was quite annoying to say the least.

I think ur rig will run Far Cry and HL2 good enough. If u really want maximum detail and stuff, u have to get both a new cpu and a graphics card. The P4 2.8c u mentioned is not much faster than ur OC'ed 2500. BTW, have u tried to run the 2500 as a 3200 by setting the FSB to 200mhz and the multiplier to 11x? If u really want to upgrade, I suggest u to get a good Athlon 64 and a Radeon X800 or GeForce 6. If u don't want to upgrade both teh CPU and GPU, than get a new graphics card and not a new cpu. But you should get at least a X800 or GeForce 6 or it would be a waste of money because you won't see that much of a improvement.

Good luck,

Panzerknacker

ummm i don't have the computer in my sig anymore. I gave it to my sister, because hse broke her comp... right now i am working off of an e-machines etower 500iz... (533mhz celeron processor 256mb sdram... onboard video)....

So i plan on getting (now) the p4 2.26b with an abit ai7... use my old kingston hyperx 512mb pc 2700 and an ati radeon 9800 pro... will this run farcry and half life 2... at least acceptibly?

or should i use my radeon 9600 pro (which i took out of the rig i gave to my sister because i thought i might need it...) with a p4 2.8c an abit ic7g, and my kingston hyerpx pc 2700?) what do you guys think...

whcih system???

the one with the 9800 pro or the one with the 9600 pro???

How does those p4 2.2 oc, if not much you could get a athlon xp-m and get at least 2.5ghz and get yourself more ram. How much money are your planning to spend?

I wouldn't suggest a mediocre cpu and great gpu because your cpu will be a bottleneck and limit your gpu.
I you can wait and save up a bit then do so. If you really can't then follow the advice by the follow ocforum collegues but I don't think the system will last a long time in the gaming world as games rapidly evolve and need more resources.

Although, you could buy the system you had in mind originally (2.26b + r9800) and then when you have the money upgrade your cpu.

You could also buy a P4 2.4C somewhere as these are cheap nowadays. Maybe they cost a couple of $ more than the 2.26b but are much faster.

i have decided to get a p4 2.8c with an ai7... i think i can hold off with my radeon 9600pro for a bit longer. I am going to overclock it.. and try to get at least 4000 in 3dmarks03. Hopefully i'll be able to achieve this. (I'm going to buy farcry with my new system so i'll let you guys know how it all turned out)

Darryl_D said:
i have decided to get a p4 2.8c with an ai7... i think i can hold off with my radeon 9600pro for a bit longer. I am going to overclock it.. and try to get at least 4000 in 3dmarks03. Hopefully i'll be able to achieve this. (I'm going to buy farcry with my new system so i'll let you guys know how it all turned out)

hey, DD is back...welcome.

nice choice in new parts. ;)

good luck in your new rig.

mica

Docta_Z said:
[whisper]aaaaaaaaammmmmmmddddddddd[/whisper]

:attn:
yeah for the same money you could get a low end 64, and i think a ram upgrade is needed in the near future

reading some articles with an x800PRO / XT a 2.4c was becoming a somewhat bottle neck in tests - when switched to a 3ghz FPS went up 10+ FPS so as you can see a 2.4C is already becoming a bottle neck with todays GPU's out

so your choice of a 2.8 is a good one and with a decent overclock you should be safe for sometime. - i myself just got a 2.6C for my P4P800 and am awaiting it arrival, i am also looking for a good prices x800PRO or XT

i (don't ask me how.. somehow managed to get a p4 2.8c an ai7 and a radeon 9800 pro for under 500 (480 i think)... i'm gonna ask my father and it all matters on what he thinks... but if i get that i'm not goig to be able to get far cry... (yet :p)

hey guys, how do the readeon 9600xt handle far cry??? (how do you think they'll handle hl2???) do you think they will handle it just as good as, or worse then the 9800 pro....

Back