• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Central & Branch office Domain configuration

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TimDgsr

You have a Central Office and 5 branch locations. Each branch has 3-5 computers. All computers at the central and branch offices need to be on the same domain. Each branch needs internet access comparable to t1.

What is the most efficient way to connect these offices?

Would you want a DC at each location, for only 5 machines?

Each location have their own t1 with site-site vpn connections?

Do a site-site t1 connection and have them all connect back to the central office and use a single gateway to the internet?(i realize this would compact all internet traffic into a single 1.5mb line, but i'm skeptical of the traffic at this point)

I remember reading a scenario sort of like this, and someone criticizing the use of t1 vs another connection, but for the life of me can't recall it.

any suggestions?

Last edited:
Homework? I got enough of my own, thanks.

Personally, I would use hub and spoke frame relay over t1, depending on the needs. Some offices could be put on as little as fractional t1 or ISDN. Even dialup, if there's not enough traffic. Another way to do it is have all sites connect to the internet and use VPN tunnels to the main office. I would prefer the first way, though.

I would have 2 DCs at the main site, maybe one at another, busy site, just for backup purposes. As long as you aren't doing anything fancy, like remote profiles, then you'll be fine.. domain login doesn't take an absorbent amount of traffic. Should the site-to-site links be down, the clients cache the login credentials, and will allow you to log in without the DC.

ha, thanks for the reply.

nah, it sounds like homework but it's not. just the way i worded it. someone was asking me some questions theoretically, and i just sort of winged a scenario for here.

come to find out the branch locations would be on campuses with internet connections already, so looks like vpn is my answer. i was pretty sure as long as they weren't running roaming profiles i wouldn't need DC's at each location, especially for only a handful of machines.

edit: yeah, frame relay was exactly what i was thinking about, but could not remember the name to save my life. I haven't read about it in a few years, and being sick isn't exactly helping.

thanks again

Back