• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wondering if I have to sit through this...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dreIU

Hey all, I just put together my system: same as in rig except xp-m 2600+ (good stepping from excaliberpc).

Here is what I did with my old setup: I started Priming for 12hrs at 230x5. then 12 more hours at 235x5, then 12more at 240x5, tehn 12 more at 250x5, then 12 more at 250x8, 250x9 and finally at 250x10 is where I stopped.

I am just wondering if I should do the same or just stick it to the max. I dont really want to wait, but I am not sure if I need to break everything in. It just seems likt it will take a long time (and I want to play FarCry and CoD with 5.1 sound!!! :clap: ), but I would wait if it would guarantee me that same result. what are your guys' experiences?

EDIT: BTW, had to replace the mobo, memory, and CPU (all same brands as before except for diff CPU) bc they somehow got burnt when I was putting everything back together. but that is just 'nother story. :)

I've never had conditioning or so called "burning in" actually make a difference. There isn't any logical reason why it would anyways. Just sort of an urban legend. I say just stick it to the max. 2.5GHz is a reasonable speed. WIth your setup, there's no reason why it shouldn't be able to do 250x10. Mostly I'd say check it for stability, but 2.5ghz just seems to be a no-brainer for these mobiles.

Gautam said:
I've never had conditioning or so called "burning in" actually make a difference. There isn't any logical reason why it would anyways. Just sort of an urban legend. I say just stick it to the max. 2.5GHz is a reasonable speed. WIth your setup, there's no reason why it shouldn't be able to do 250x10. Mostly I'd say check it for stability, but 2.5ghz just seems to be a no-brainer for these mobiles.

BUT, as much as I want that to be true, the experience with my old Asus and barton 3000+ setup contradicts it. I had worked my way up to 200*11, which was alot for the crappyness of the mobo/memory (a7n8x dlx 2.0 and samsung memory). Then I just upped it to 210*11 and it wouldnt even boot. Then I did something similar to what I described in my first post, and it ran 210*11 happily ever after (until I sold those *******s).

I am thinking this may be a different story for the Mobiles? It is currently priming at 235*5 right now (as far as I remember right), I will abort in a few and then just run prime at 250*10. Other comments?

I've heard magical stories of burning in, I'm still not sure what to believe.

With good ram, like you have, and some good temperature management... I expect you'd be able to go past 250x10 some time in the future... but heck for now, go play farcry. It's a good reason to overclock. :)

I dont buy the burn in myth either. Im with Gautam, light the sucker and let'r rip. By the way im at 2.6 @ 1.75v stable so I would stop a bit higher than 2.5

Just my thought - run it as fast as it will run, but it seem that after awail the higher you run it the higher it will go. If it will run 2.7 or what ever let it do it if it is cool.

But the more volts you let it run on the better it gets. I have seen this on my own stuff with a 2600 mobile, coundnt get it past 2550 & after I run it on the high volts for awail it went 2670. This took about a month though but still you should be able to run it as high as it will run with it cool no matter what.

Ok, well I am liking what you guys are saying. I guess I will do some 250*10 at 1.8vcore and mem at 2.9v, then after I get bored with it a little, I will see about dropping the vcore, or sucking more juice out of it.

I dont know, may peops have had good luck with these 2600m's, getting high clocks with lower voltage, so I dont really want to burn it out at 1.8 when it could do it at 1.7.

I will prime it at 250*10 for the night and see how it goes in the morning. Thanks guys.

Ok, it seems that breaking in is pretty much useless. It just spent 16hours at 250*10 with no break in period. I want to thank you guys for making me realize this, and also from keeping me from wasting some time. Thanks!

Back