Senior Django-loving Member Captain Newbie's Avatar
    Right seat with a bored "don't kill me" expression

Prescott E0 Stepping

Prescott E0, supporting AMD NX technology, will be issued in 3Q04.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=17050

New BIOSes will be required for the NX support, along with the extra stuff E0 will have, including cool'n'quiet...

Somethin' new at least.
    B.S. Computer Science, B.A. Political Science | Commercial Pilot Airplane Single and Multiengine Land, Instrument Airplane
    "And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod
    The high untresspassed sanctity of space
    Put out my hand, and touched the face of God."

Strong * Focused * Safe
    Apple Mac Pro 4,1, Two Nehalem Xeons 2.26GHzx4 (Hyperthreaded), 12 GB DDR3 FBDRAM | MacBook Pro 15" (2009)

sorry but what is NX? i saw "no execute memory protection" but that means nothing to me...

Senior Django-loving Member Captain Newbie's Avatar
    Right seat with a bored "don't kill me" expression
    No Execute locks out certain memory blocks to prevent certain types of attacks and virii.
    B.S. Computer Science, B.A. Political Science | Commercial Pilot Airplane Single and Multiengine Land, Instrument Airplane
    "And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod
    The high untresspassed sanctity of space
    Put out my hand, and touched the face of God."

Strong * Focused * Safe
    Apple Mac Pro 4,1, Two Nehalem Xeons 2.26GHzx4 (Hyperthreaded), 12 GB DDR3 FBDRAM | MacBook Pro 15" (2009)

No Execute locks out certain memory blocks to prevent certain types of attacks and virii.
    Neato! Except that I make a lot of my income as a PC tech/repair guy removing all of those viruses from customers' computers every day
    Main Gaming PC- Intel Desktop: "Cyborgmind: Duo"
    Xeon e3110 "Wolfdale" @ 4.1ghz, 9x467, 1.32v idle, 1.28v load -- Swiftech H20-220 Compact
    Evga 750i FTW -- 4GB G.Skill pc8500 @ 1066mhz, 5-5-5-15, 2.1v -- Corsair 1000w PSU
    74gb Raptor w/ XP Pro SP3 & Vista 64 SP2 dual-boot -- 640gb WD -- BFG GTX 280 OC
    Modded black/green themed TT Armor case w/ custom stenciling and UV cathodes

Intel Desktop "Kaoru": e6600 @ stock, Biostar p43 mobo, 2gb pc6400 ddr2, x1900gt
    Intel HTPC "Id" (DEAD): Celeron D 2.4ghz, S-Presso S1-P112, 512mb pc2700, FX 5200
    Intel HTPC "Fei": 2.4c @ 3ghz, IC7, 1gb pc3700, 6800GT, Antec Overture II
    AMD File Server "Regis Mark V": X2 4000+, MVA-VM, 1gb pc6400, 2TB storage

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos_Being
    Neato! Except that I make a lot of my income as a PC tech/repair guy removing all of those viruses from customers' computers every day
    Don't worry about it. NX, or XD as Intel calls it primarily protects against worms only. Most viruses, trojans and spyware in general simply are unaffected by NX since they don't use buffer overruns to do their thing.