• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this a good time for a pentium 3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
you have a 1Ghz@1103, right??

My 700@1053 will do a .4xx in 6:10-6:30

if didnt have a low angle WU, id say its time for some tweaks, expically on your memory. Is that memory generic?? if so you might want to get some higher quality stuff like Crucial,Corsair etc...

:-( yeah man generic, I'll wait until September 28th when market pro shows comes to town and i'll get some micron cas 2, but for now any BIOS tweaks you can suggest??

my celeron at 850 averages a little less 9 hours per WU.....had high AR's for the last 3 and was able to finish them just above 6 each

you should be getting about 6 average with your P3 @1.1

BiLLyXkiNG said:
9 hours 34 minutes and 26 seconds...is that good for an overclocked pentium 3 (right now at) 1103mhz??? I did my first WU finished last night :)...

That's a bit slow unless you're crunching a very low AR. My dual 700 @ 1 gig runs about 6.5 -7 hours for an average unit.

at the risk of saying what's already been said.. I get about 6.2-6.4 out of my P3@949...

Good luck!!!

1) I'm from eastern PA...to answer your question Basher

2) It's almost 3:00AM my time, very late, I let my thing run and I had two WU's cached back to back. I woke up around 1:55AM and turned my monitor on and saw that one was done and the other had been running for 54 minutes, and now my CPU time average is about 8:07 versus the first one at 9:34. That would mean around 6:30, not bad, I ran this one off a RAMdisk :). How about that?

That's better - ram disk will do nothing for your Seti time unless you otherwise have your hard drive set to power off.

TC said:
That's better - ram disk will do nothing for your Seti time unless you otherwise have your hard drive set to power off.
Sure it will! (near) instant access times, along with insanly high read/write speed will help out times. But only when SETI is messing with the data files. Cumativly, all those millisecond differences might just add up to a few seconds!! WOOHOO! :D :D :D

;) JigPu

JigPu said:

Sure it will! (near) instant access times, along with insanly high read/write speed will help out times. But only when SETI is messing with the data files. Cumativly, all those millisecond differences might just add up to a few seconds!! WOOHOO! :D :D :D

;) JigPu

TC is right. I have run two identical rigs, one with ramdisk and the other without. RamDisk only lowered my WU times by 1 or 2 minutes. With todays UDMA drives, it doesn't help that much, but with older drives it might help a little more.

Well maybe I did something wrong, but I used the standard TLC benchmark file and it came out 32 seconds faster, which is insignificant to me. What helps the most is having a large L2 cache so the code and data can fit entirely into the cpu. I have used ramdisk to load swap files into ram, and that does make a big difference for programs such as photoshop.

Don't forget that not all WU's are going to be the same. Each WU is individual in itself. There could be Absloutely nothing to search through in one WU, and 1, 000, 000 things to verify in another. Kinda cool for rank when you hit a blank spot of sky, and bumps our standing up a notch, but not really why we're doing this right?

CrystalMethod said:
Don't forget that not all WU's are going to be the same. Each WU is individual in itself. There could be Absloutely nothing to search through in one WU, and 1, 000, 000 things to verify in another. Kinda cool for rank when you hit a blank spot of sky, and bumps our standing up a notch, but not really why we're doing this right?

You may have a good point there, but my understanding is regardless of what is in the data file, data is pulled from the file in 50kb blocks and loaded into system ram for processing, so theoretically the hard disk only needs to be accessed roughly 7 times during any work unit. If this is not the case then I'm wrong.

GuNRocK said:
hey is there a way u can get lower angle signals to work with?

I don't mean to be rude - but why would you WANT a low angle signal. In the last 33 processed WU's, I have had 25 < .0xx. I'm not sure but I think that I have angered the great Seti God.

Yeah... High AR=Good, Low AR=BAD!

You could theroreticly download a WU, and when SETISpy reports the AR you could see if it's too low for your taste and delete it, then downlad another till it's high enough. But that might be considered cheating for high team placement...

Screening low AR to fast computers and high AR to slow computers wouldn't be against the rules I would think though!

JigPu

Back