• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will this rn farcry a little well???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Darryl_D

okay guys i htink its time to update... my dad said that he would get me the rig before i went to college... (august 20th ish) i couldn't wait that long... sop until then i got a temporary fix... (i hate this sutpid 533mhz celeron...)

i bouth the abit nf7-s and an oem barton 2500+ i'm still goig to be using my radeon 9600 pro and the 512mb of pc 2700 that i have... my question is will this run far cry on high settings at 1024x768? that's all i'm really interested in running.. is that much... (with my radeon 9600 pro at least..)

i'd say it would play the same as your rig now unless you get alot more of an oc, being that both cpu's are 2500+ bartons. so basically you've got the same setup you had before. imo the problem before, and still is, the pc 2700 is gonna limit your fsb, and that's gonna limit how high you can oc either chip.
you might want to think about getting some pc3200 then you could get the most outta either one.
:-/ maybe you could return the mobo+cpu and get another 512 of pc2700 or better yet some pc3200.
/jmho
coper

copernicus said:
i'd say it would play the same as your rig now unless you get alot more of an oc, being that both cpu's are 2500+ bartons. so basically you've got the same setup you had before. imo the problem before, and still is, the pc 2700 is gonna limit your fsb, and that's gonna limit how high you can oc either chip.
you might want to think about getting some pc3200 then you could get the most outta either one.
:-/ maybe you could return the mobo+cpu and get another 512 of pc2700 or better yet some pc3200.
/jmho
coper

Whats wrong with PC-2100? I got mine all the way to 210 and im waiting for my new radiator to get done so I can see how hight I can really go.

-Alex-

i just bought far cry today and i'm running it @ 1024 x 768 with high, not very high, settings and low aa. my system that's pushing it is a tbred-b @1967 mhz 207 x 9.5 (it's the mainboard, the a7n8x is idiotic) and a radeon x800 pro modded to xt while my 64 is down. and the x800 can barely pull that. i want to get my 939 back up really bad.

[AK]Zip said:
Whats wrong with PC-2100? I got mine all the way to 210 and im waiting for my new radiator to get done so I can see how hight I can really go.

-Alex-

i never said anything was wrong with his pc2700. i just thought he should know that he didn't really upgrade anything -imo- by trading an a7n8x/2500+ for an nf7/m2500+ and keeping the same memory.
even if the a7n8x is limiting the fsb, although i doubt it is limiting it that much, the amount of fsb/ performance gain he is gonna get outta the new mobo/cpu with the same mem is most likely not gonna be a big improvement. although i could be wrong :D

okay let me explain why i got the barton 2500+ again... there's a little thing called MONEY that i don't readily have.

goheels said:
i just bought far cry today and i'm running it @ 1024 x 768 with high, not very high, settings and low aa. my system that's pushing it is a tbred-b @1967 mhz 207 x 9.5 (it's the mainboard, the a7n8x is idiotic) and a radeon x800 pro modded to xt while my 64 is down. and the x800 can barely pull that. i want to get my 939 back up really bad.

you got issues then...

most people can run FC @ 1280 Max ingame and 4x/8x AA/AF

with an x800.. I run at those with 6x/16 myself

you mean if you put a pIII 1ghz with an x800 pro and 256 of sdram, it would run far cry @ 1280 x 1024 no matter what? i think the processor has more to do with it than most people give credit for. there was an article an anandtech showing the same system with just three different processors - they had an xp 2500+, a 64 3200+, and a 64 3500+. obviously the 3500+ mopped up, by as much as 130 fps. they could get that barton to run it smooth at anything above 1024 x 768. i'll try it, but i'll probably get mad and change it back.

I don't know about anybody else, but in my experience with Farcry, one of the most important requirements is "1 gig of ram". I have seen more performance issues cured by that than anything. I run a P4#3.0 with a 9800Pro, mem at 217. I still could not get what I call smooth at 1024x768 at higher settings until I went to 1 gig of ram. And remember, in Farcry, the middle setting is called High. Most other games call that Average.

Back