• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

eVGA GeForce 6800 GT System Performance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Mine's sucking the juice too. I had a terminal crash when I tried to set my OC back to established perameters after the installation of the ultra. My regular clock had been FSB @ 230, 1.6v, memory @ 5:4, auto, 2-2-2-5. I had been experimenting with straight memory timings and had reduced the FSB to 220 where I could run the memory at 1:1, however the timings were relaxed to 2-3-3-6. Any way after reading the results of increases in graphics performance ratio with processor performance I decided to revert back to my old settings incresing the FSB, but upon reboot,and even after increasing the Vcore to 1.65 (which suppport boot and load Windows with a FSB of 235 before) I encountered a series of failures resulting in a file corruption issue leading to a Windows reinstall.
I've ordered a new PSU thinking that power consumption has to be the culprit. The card will run fine at default settings but when I place the additional strain of over clocking is when the system takes the hit. This supports the reports of people running the cards successfully off a 330w PSU, but they don't actually state what exactly is on the system. Dual raptors, hardrives, CD's, and the additoinal loads of overclocking must place additonal demands on the power system. Once the new PSU arrives I'm going to do a clean install and then see were I can push this puppy.

well when i installed my 6800GT, my cpu OC was no longer stable and would crash in any 3d application. i had to raise the core .025. then i noticed that my GT didn't OC well with autodetect, so i thought it was my Antec true330w that was lacking. so i goes out and get the OCZ powerstream 420w(520w max). i got the exact same results, spent 90$ for nothing.

I am ordering a true 430W PS now. My ultra rig crashes during boot occasionally and I can only attribute this to the cheap 350W PS that is currently in it. It did this with my ultra also, yet both cards work fine in my NF7-S rig. The NV's are some power munching cards. Is the 5800 just as power hungry? Reason I ask is I have one here for my buddys rig that we got for $99 NIB. I would try it to check the power, but it looks like it could be just a big of a power pig by its looks.

Nandro said:
I am ordering a true 430W PS now. My ultra rig crashes during boot occasionally and I can only attribute this to the cheap 350W PS that is currently in it. It did this with my ultra also, yet both cards work fine in my NF7-S rig. The NV's are some power munching cards. Is the 5800 just as power hungry? Reason I ask is I have one here for my buddys rig that we got for $99 NIB. I would try it to check the power, but it looks like it could be just a big of a power pig by its looks.
im pretty sure the new cards pull more power than the 5800, but not that much more

Naw, the 5800 never gave me any problems, in fact you get used to the noise after a month or two. :p
It never caused any grief power wise at all.

DarkMatter13 said:
Final determination:

The system RAM (Corsair XMS PC3200) couldn't handle the 1:1 at 220 with any voltage readily supplied by the BIOS. So, it's back to stock clocks now.

you might have missed this reply....

micamica1217 said:
your voltages look real good to me....that's at full load?
yep, looking good to me.

start running at 5:4 mem ratio, then bump back up to 220fsb or higher if you can.
I'm sure you can push that CPU to 240fsb-255fsb.
you might need 1.6vcore, maybe 1.65vcore.

as for your vid card OC...heat is the only thing I see right now as your problem.

PM me if you need more help.

mica

mica

bobmanfoo said:
well when i installed my 6800GT, my cpu OC was no longer stable and would crash in any 3d application. i had to raise the core .025. then i noticed that my GT didn't OC well with autodetect, so i thought it was my Antec true330w that was lacking. so i goes out and get the OCZ powerstream 420w(520w max). i got the exact same results, spent 90$ for nothing.

that bad huh?

I warned peeps about OCing the 6800gt, yet I'm sure you'll find a healthy balance of OCing and stability...
mica has faith in you.

mica

Dosnt matter to me. Im gonna kick this ***** into overdrive. I got all the hardware needed to have a killer OC.

Lets see here....

430w True....
Bolting my SK7 to my 6800GT...
Cutting up a CPU HSF for the RAM....

Hmm I think thats all of it :clap:

I dont think either heat or power will be a factor

Nandro said:
I'm runing a true 480w psu and have had problems oc'ing my rig. Same problem lock ups and blue on previously stable overclock settings. I've ordered a Sparkle 550w w/pfc to see if that will stabilize the OC. I've got it stable now @ 225, 1:1 timings but if I go one smidgen further....crash, even if I switch to 5:4 memory and relax timings. I haven't tried oc'ing the vid card because I'm afeared it'll crash too, so I'm waiting until I get the new psu installed.

I'd like to see what the GT core could do on water also. I just wonder if heat could be topping it out at 450 or whatever you guys are getting too.

Mica in the ATI topic. that kraig guys x800pro or XT card's core clocked to what like 600....OMG...that nuts. I wonder if the GT could get even close to that.

kevy8up said:
I'd like to see what the GT core could do on water also. I just wonder if heat could be topping it out at 450 or whatever you guys are getting too.

Mica in the ATI topic. that kraig guys x800pro or XT card's core clocked to what like 600....OMG...that nuts. I wonder if the GT could get even close to that.

I'm running at 550/550 now...still with air.

mica

Im starting to think about mod'n a 250watt power supply from one of the small form factor PC's to fit in a drive bay....I have a 6800 GT due in monday. I'm fairly confident that my PC Power & Cooling 410w unit will cope with the GT without issues but if it comes down to it...
17-157-005-01.jpg

i'v got a GT at 400/1.1(ultra speeds) on a unbranded 400watt psu with 2 hard drives and a dvd burner no problem

i have mine at 430 1200 for games and i have never had a lock up or anything happen, i have A VANTEC 520. my friend uses my antec 430 to overclock it, you just need a quality powersupply.. people have had these things running on 250 watt shuttle powerspplies.

Well I received my GT and so far so good, no change in my rigs stability since the install. Ive done some hours long gaming on various titles and its like a rock....all hail the mighty PC Power and Cooling Silent 410 :clap:

Back