• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

chawken or tc please read..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
toomnymods said:
Can you do a small favor for me run Sisoft sandra TE and let me know what your benchmarks are for your cpu and the ram... Kinda curios what your hitting with those ram timings..
Thanks...

I have Sandra 2001 - I'll put it on that machine and run it. I will have the results this afternoon.

toomnymods said:
Can you do a small favor for me run Sisoft sandra TE and let me know what your benchmarks are for your cpu and the ram... Kinda curios what your hitting with those ram timings..
Thanks...

Sandra 2001se:

CPU Benchmark:
ALU = 4223 MIPS
FPU = 2078 Mflops

Multi-Media:
Interger MMX = 8277 it/s
Floating Point = 10,388 it/s

Memory:
ALU/Ram = 910 MB/s
FPU/Ram = 1007 MB/s

Thanks.. Yes your processor is rockin' it is proably way more efficient at doing apps that's why it is soo fast.. Cause all my processors beat it in all the cpu benches except the floating point one.. your memory scores are kickin *** too.. i bet if you download the newest TE version (it's free) your scrores might even be higher as they have enabled support for the new palaminos in there I believe..
Thanks for your time..

toomnymods said:
Thanks.. Yes your processor is rockin' it is proably way more efficient at doing apps that's why it is soo fast.. Cause all my processors beat it in all the cpu benches except the floating point one.. your memory scores are kickin *** too.. i bet if you download the newest TE version (it's free) your scrores might even be higher as they have enabled support for the new palaminos in there I believe..
Thanks for your time..

1 WU in, run at 169x9. .427 3hr 21min.

Damn that is fast as all blazin' hell :eek: lol
Just wondering if the desktop palamino will be able to do the same.. People are talkin' that they might try a multiplier lock.. as well as disable the mp instructions for these chips.. I surely hope they dont.. As far as I can tell they will be identical except for the increased clock speed...

toomnymods said:
Damn that is fast as all blazin' hell :eek: lol
Just wondering if the desktop palamino will be able to do the same.. People are talkin' that they might try a multiplier lock.. as well as disable the mp instructions for these chips.. I surely hope they dont.. As far as I can tell they will be identical except for the increased clock speed...

If they lock the multiplier - it really doesn't matter to me. I am running it at the default multiplier, x9

By the way - I just jumped my fsb up to 171. Boots fine - seti is running. We'll see how it does until tomorrow morning.

Did you have to flash the bios to get the palamino to work?? My palamino's just arrived minutes ago I plan on trying it out on the 8K7A board first.. Right now it has the 1711 bios is thier a newer bios out or no?? I looked on Epox's site and this was the newest bios..
Thanks for all the help.. :p :D

toomnymods said:
Did you have to flash the bios to get the palamino to work?? My palamino's just arrived minutes ago I plan on trying it out on the 8K7A board first.. Right now it has the 1711 bios is thier a newer bios out or no?? I looked on Epox's site and this was the newest bios..
Thanks for all the help.. :p :D

My bios version is 1711. TC says that there is a newer one, but it's not on their English site. I'm not sure of where he found it. If there was a newer one, I would want TC to try it out first, and let us know whether it is worth upgrading.

I have the same excact bios version you do and it will not post.. I even cleard the cmos, set it to 100mhz and using default voltages.. will power up, but i cant tell whether the cpu is working or not cause thier is no video, god i hope i didnt get a bad cpu this would suck balls.. any ideas??? P.S. I also got the revision 1.1 mobo and trying it on the 8K7A if i can't get it to work soon will try it on my 8k7A+ later tonight.. will wait for ur thoughts first..
thanks

Last edited:
chawken said:

My bios version is 1711. TC says that there is a newer one, but it's not on their English site. I'm not sure of where he found it. If there was a newer one, I would want TC to try it out first, and let us know whether it is worth upgrading.

Beta bios version 1802 - adds official support for the MP and SSE. I was going to try it out and the flash failed. People talk about it over at Athlon Motherboard. The bios was posted there.

Athlon MB Epox Files

I give up.. I've had it with this beta bios bullshi# Everything i've tried doesnt work.. why would they just release the bin file without the award flash exe file to mate it with??? I've never flashed thru this way before and it's tickin me off spent the last 6 hours just trying to get the damn 1802 bios version to work with the 1711 award flash utility thingy, wont do crud.. they dont have nuthing on thier site either for download..
guess I'll have to wait 6 weeks or more to actually use my new mp chips... God I'm ****ed :mad:
Ohh well time for bed I'm about to blow a head gasket..

toomnymods said:
I give up.. I've had it with this beta bios bullshi# Everything i've tried doesnt work.. why would they just release the bin file without the award flash exe file to mate it with??? I've never flashed thru this way before and it's tickin me off spent the last 6 hours just trying to get the damn 1802 bios version to work with the 1711 award flash utility thingy, wont do crud.. they dont have nuthing on thier site either for download..
guess I'll have to wait 6 weeks or more to actually use my new mp chips... God I'm ****ed :mad:
Ohh well time for bed I'm about to blow a head gasket..

I am surprised that you are having so many probs.
My board version is a 1.0 with the bios flashed to 1711. I'm not sure of using a beta bios right now. I'll let a few people beta test it first.

This is how I configured my dips and jumpers -
CPU Ratio SW2:
1 on
2 on
3 off
4 off
5 on

JP2 CPU Vcore
Jumper 4-9 this is +.3v

JP3 DDR Adjust
Jumper 4-9 also +.3v

JCLK1 Jumper 2-3

With these settings your board should boot. Try booting with only the video card and memory and drives.

I am pretty sure that you know how to configure a system, so forgive me if I am stating the obvious to you.

Bios version 1711 is not in beta. Version 1802 is - you'll notice it's not posted on the Epox web site. Were you running the board with version 1711 before you installed your new cpu? I suspect you may have a problem with your new cpu, not the board. I have 3 8K7A's all using the 1711 bios. Also you don't need the latest bios just to run an MP. It worked just fine for me with the older bios version that didn't support the 1/5 divisor. I'm assuming you have tried clearing the cmos, putting the multiplier back to auto, and running a different chip that you know was working?

Well I guess I found out what the problem is.. I took out the palamino and swapped the processors to see if the 8K7a was maybe a faulty board (it's not...) Booted just fine with my 1.0ghz processor.. then i was like what the hell can it hurt I took the processor from my 8K7A+ and installed my 1.2 "MP" palamino in it's place and it booted perfect!! :D :p So my guess Is for some odd reason the 8K7A is not compatible till the bios flash is completed... the 1802 while on the other hand for some odd reason the 8K7A+ somehow supports it enough to use it atleast using the 1711 bios.. I even emailed thier tech support and they sent me the newest and best revision of thier beta bios's for the palamino support but then again it dont have the damn award flash utility so I'm back to square one again.. if I send this to someone can they configure it so all I'll have to do is during boot press alt-f2 to flash the bios.. I don't know how to flash the bios by using the boot disk and the a prompt..

p.s. i called thier tech support and they were naming off stuff left and right what to do.. I kept saying tried it, tried it, tried it, tried it, about 15 times I know i had to of been tickin the guy off,lol He said they havent even tried to use a palamino mp on either of these motherboards who knows.. all i know is it's workin fine on my 8K7A+ still thinking of flashing the bios if you can help me configure the bin file thing to make it flash.. i guess i'm a retard, Stuff is too damn complicated for me.. I liked Asus Flash utility program worked straight from windows, and was super easy to use.. Also they sent me the brand new beta bios version 8k7a1823 hopefully this will be compatible with the raid and the non raid versions.. what you think guys??

Thanks for the suggestions guys..

TC said:
Bios version 1711 is not in beta. Version 1802 is - you'll notice it's not posted on the Epox web site. Were you running the board with version 1711 before you installed your new cpu? I suspect you may have a problem with your new cpu, not the board. I have 3 8K7A's all using the 1711 bios. Also you don't need the latest bios just to run an MP. It worked just fine for me with the older bios version that didn't support the 1/5 divisor. I'm assuming you have tried clearing the cmos, putting the multiplier back to auto, and running a different chip that you know was working?

Sorry - I was refering to the 1802 bios version as being beta. I'm running mine with the 1711. I just don't trust beta versions of drivers or bio's. I'll let others test them, then when I hear that they are really worth upgrading to - from a reliable source, like yourself - then Ill go for it.

Send me the binary image and I'll take a look at it. BTW using the flash utility is easy - just use a boot floppy, type awdflash at the prompt, once in the utility type the full name of the new binary file - i.e. 8k7a1802.bin, then just tell it to procede. If you want to automate it, make an autoexec.bat file with the following lines

@Echo off
awdflash 8k7a1802.bin /py

and it will automatically run from the boot floppy.

I flashed the bios on my 8K7A+ to bios version 8K7A1823 working great boot times seem way faster.. Already increased my ram timings to 8-8-6-2-6-2-2 with multi of 9 and fsb of 146.. This chip is still within its first 8 hours use.. How do you think I should burn it in?? Dont wanna kill it, but would love to see it hit over 1500 mhz maybe couple of weeks down the road.
Thanks for the help guys... :D :p I'm a happy camper now!!

Crunch On!!

Here are my results. Old version was 1711, new is 1823 - thanks to Toomnymods for the latest beta bios direct from Epox.
Well here's the verdict:

EP8K7A revision 1.0 bios beta 1823.
Week 21 1.2 gig MP @ 1400 8X175 memory settings top down 8882222

1) bios reads "Athlon MP" versus Athlon 4
2) boots faster, no doubt
3) Hoda shows support for SSE instruction set
4) cpu score unchanged @ 3956/1953
5) mem score changed a bit - before was 975/1038, now it's 949/1058 - so one decreased while other increased.

Haven't had time to tell if it made any difference with Seti. Will update if anything interesting happens. To my knowledge Seti does not use SSE optimizations.

Back