Disabled

OCZ PowerStream 420w help

well i just got this psu, it looks great and has good currents: +3.3V@28A, +5V@30A, +12V@30A, has shielded dedicated molexs for hdd and vga too , anyway i was wondering what i should set the rails to since it has adjustable rails, i currently have it at 3.36V, 5.10V, 12.28V. are these rails ok? should i lower them to spec or go higher? thanks for the input

You need to use a digital multimeter to adjust the rails. Do adjustments while the CPU is under load. Run Prime95, Seti, Folding, ect. With my Antec True Control I have my rails overvolted by .05v. I do that so my rails don't dip down under spec.

Disabled
    Quote Originally Posted by ZachM
    You need to use a digital multimeter to adjust the rails. Do adjustments while the CPU is under load. Run Prime95, Seti, Folding, ect. With my Antec True Control I have my rails overvolted by .05v. I do that so my rails don't dip down under spec.
    well how much do they run? i know i won't add too much or to little because each rail has its own led. red if its above 5%, yellow if its below 5%, and green when its in between. but i was wondering if my rails posted in the original post are ok, or are they too high or not high enough. thnaks

The 12v seem a little high, but the motherboard sensors are inaccuate. My sensors are about .1v off depending on the rail. It under reads all of them. So I say turn down the 12v line a little bit. Try 12.10v. Remember, do it while the CPU is at load.

Multimeters can run from $20 to $100s. Radio Shack has some cheap ones. I wonder how accurate they are though.

Disabled
    thanks, so what is a safe percentage over spec?
    Quote Originally Posted by ZachM
    The 12v seem a little high, but the motherboard sensors are inaccuate. My sensors are about .1v off depending on the rail. It under reads all of them. So I say turn down the 12v line a little bit. Try 12.10v. Remember, do it while the CPU is at load.

Multimeters can run from $20 to $100s. Radio Shack has some cheap ones. I wonder how accurate they are though.