• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Contacts on the bottom of the hard drive spindle?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TimDgsr

okay, so let's just say that you wanted to use the motors from old hard drive to...ummm....power a remote control car, or something of the sort. needless to say i have a few dead hard drives around work, and will be using extreme caution with the 7k rpm platters spinning around.

there are four contacts on the bottom of a hard drive motor that connect to the circuit board. Do these four connectors relate directly to the 4 pins of a molex connector? I don't really see anything on the card that would control voltage to the drive otherwise, but then again what do i know about circuit boards.

so anyone know what these are, and if there is even a standard layout per brand of drive? only thing i could think of was to hook a multimeter to it while it was in operation. figured i would ask before trying.

Back