• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan placement, negative/positive pressure

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lat

i was just surfing around and i found this page:

http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=230

does a whole bunch of tests with fans in various positions and what not

apparently, 'negative' pressure IS better cooling wise? (yes, i know positive pressure means less dust)

so, if you're going to clean your rig every once in a while anyways, it's probably best to have negative pressure...
what do you think?

Lat said:
i was just surfing around and i found this page:

http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=230

does a whole bunch of tests with fans in various positions and what not

apparently, 'negative' pressure IS better cooling wise? (yes, i know positive pressure means less dust)

so, if you're going to clean your rig every once in a while anyways, it's probably best to have negative pressure...
what do you think?

do a search, covered many times already

All in all, the difference is negligible and the test results mean little.... All cases and components are different, and whats good for one may not be good for another. The only way to know what is best for your setup is trial and error, though you may want to carefully consider what you put to trial since you probably don't want holes all over your case. :)

Last edited:
greenman100 said:
do a search, covered many times already
Please explain to me how your post does anything to convey actually being helpful? I personally consider the above to be a waste of space, as I have said before, if you don't have anything to contribute in a helpful manner or a new light, do not bother posting. You waste my time, the member seeking helps time and the forums time for having to skim over this post.

As for the member initial inquiry I believe that it's always best to run filters on your fans you find that the resistance is usually slight, and if you clean them on a regular schedule it normally won't harm your overall cooling.

Just my two cents.

J :cool:

SpeeDj said:
Please explain to me how your post does anything to convey actually being helpful? I personally consider the above to be a waste of space, as I have said before, if you don't have anything to contribute in a helpful manner or a new light, do not bother posting. You waste my time, the member seeking helps time and the forums time for having to skim over this post.

As for the member initial inquiry I believe that it's always best to run filters on your fans you find that the resistance is usually slight, and if you clean them on a regular schedule it normally won't harm your overall cooling.

Just my two cents.

J :cool:

Hopefully it will encourage the poster to search in the future. I am tiring of the same posts over and over and over, just wasting bandwidth and crowding out other, non-previously answered posts. It is similar to how thorlian posts "read the stickies" every time someone has a basic watercooling question.

At your request, however, I will add a more meaningful contribution to the thread along with my do a search for the posts I have seen many many times.

too bad the article did not measure gpu temps, as a fan blowing would certainly cool a gpu more, especially since it is not in the direct path to either side or top? any thoughts on all improving gpu but diminishing cpu?

Back