• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are these logical things to wait/save for?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IceWilly

Like many others i am debating when and how to upgrade to the athlon 64's and pci-e motherboards. My biggest concern is gaming, and overclockability.

The things i was currently waiting to settle before buying are:
-Solid, highly overclockable motherboards
-Athlon Fx processor for <500$
-ddr2 (seems too far off now).
-Pci-e x16 video cards with VERY noticable performance gains over agp cards.
-Has to be socket 939.

By following these guidelines i am planning on upgrading to the next level, and minimizing price while totally upgrading almost all parts of the pc.

questions:
-With the new 939 sockets, increasing the memory capabilities of the Athon 64's, what is the big draw to the Fx's? I realize they are unlocked or whatever, and that is a big deal for my Overclocking, but will the price difference be worth the performance?

-What will the prices be like on athlon fx's and 64's by late 2004. In particular the Fx-53 939 1mb cache. (estimates for prices appreciated)

withOUT the gfx card i was hoping to build a system with 1gb ddr400 ram(corsair or hyper x), athlon fx-53 939, and whatever motherboard is the best for o/c'ing, for under 800$. I wonder if this will even be possible by Late late 2004.

thx,
Ice

Last edited:
No one can guess how much the fx-53's will be by say, Christmas?

I can't estimate well and haven't been around as long as most ppl, but if someone more experienced could give me an idea how much they might drop when...
-6 months from now...
-athlon fx-55 will be out.

It seems like i really need to have an fx cpu for this rig and the only real option seems to be the fx-53

and yes... i understand that the fx's are unlocked and the 64's are locked. (multi's)

Back