• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

why not?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
the "two lengths of tubing, length A and length B" example i dont agree with. are you saying that the 1/2" tubing would let enough water through to fill up the 2"? no way. if that were true, then all the drainage pipes you see going into ponds and whatnot would always be spouting water. just like the CICO philosophy... trickle in=trickle out. the only flowrate difference between the two tubes would be because the 1/2" tubing provides less friction to the water because the contact surface area with the inside of the tubing is less. in the 1/2" 100ft, there would be very little space, if any, between the water and the sides of the tube, but with the 1/2" to 2" the water would flow along the bottom, leaving only the bottom of the water in contact with the tubing.

in length B, the 1/2" diameter section is at the end, not the beginning. The example works, and was meant to try to illustrate in a non-scientific way to Phextwin that his thinking was wrong.

"That constant rate will increase when you remove a restrictive component and replace it with a less restrictive one." This only applies when you actually take the restrictive part out of the loop, i.e. replace 3/8" tubing with 1/2" tubing.

Uh yeah, that's exactly what I just said.

apologies squeakygeek...i was tired and not in a good mood. i came off condescending and everything. sigh..thats what working on a relative's computer for 6 hours straight and dealing with tech support that tells you after 45 minutes of hold time to do exactly what you wanted to do in the first place will do to you. plus, that was the most exciting part of my day. he he.

jungle

Jungle said:
apologies squeakygeek...i was tired and not in a good mood. i came off condescending and everything. sigh..thats what working on a relative's computer for 6 hours straight and dealing with tech support that tells you after 45 minutes of hold time to do exactly what you wanted to do in the first place will do to you. plus, that was the most exciting part of my day. he he.

jungle

I hear ya.

Back