• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NF7-S CPU Temps...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ap673

I just set up my NF7-S and XP2600-m rig and i'm kinda amazed at the temp readings, and kinda skeptical. I get around 36c idle with SLK-900A/TT Smartfan/AS5 ([email protected]), thats like watercooling temps. I know the CPU sensor is located in the socket under the CPU, but thats giving the CPU socket temp not the CPU diode temp which is the actual temperature. I have no idea when I'm getting too hot, cuz 36c reading from MBM5 and BIOS might be a 45c diode temp. Anyone with a NF7-S know whats going on? Does the NF7-S actually read the diode temp and not show it, but use it for CPU protection and overheating purposes, like the settings in the BIOS. When should I stop overclocking relative to the temps i'm getting from my motherboard, which seem too low? Do I just add 10c to my temps to get real CPU temp?

BTW with my Destop XP2500/SK-7/A7N8X I was getting CPU temp reading of 45-50c idle with around the same voltage and overclock.

Last edited:
It's a mystery.
The temps reported by MBM5 and in my BIOs are all over the map.
Plus, flashing the BIOS will result in even more weird readings.

I don't believe any temps from my NF7-S anymore.

Haha, ok so I guess its hit or miss. I did hear that the NF7's do actually read the diode temp, but there is no way to check it. So I guess the only way is to set the CPU Warning Temp to 50c and stop when it starts beeping....

How you got 42C load? What is yer system temp and room temp with it?

11x210 w/1.65v = CPU 40c load 36c idle, System 22c idle 24c load. Ambient is pretty cool, im in the basement. I've got 4 case fans and a SLK-900A with TT Smartfan. It's kinda weird, but I guess I can't complain about low temps. I just wish I could see my actual cpu temps, they just must be 10c higher.

I've also heard that if you want to get a more accurate temp, take off the cpu, and pull up the blue thermal sensor so the base of the CPU will be touching it, that will give u best temps.

my load is 47 but abiemt temp here is like 80f = ?c :) Well my system is 25 and load like 27-28. But i'm running at 220 x 11 ( planing more) :p when everything is done. Hope AS5 burns in sometime => been running like a week.
About pulling up the thermostat. You think it would work? Well I dont wanna take these thing off cuz still waiting for the AS5 => to see if burning- in is true :). Well, I remember the thermalstat on my board was kindda high, but i'm not sure that it is touching the CPU :D.

Ya I know, I hate removing heatsink and cpu, plus i just seated it with AS5 less than a week ago. I dont see much difference yet. I do have a thermal sensor that came with my Thermaltake Smartfan, but I dont think it can actually tell u the temp its reading, it just goes faster when its hotter.

Tat said:
abiemt temp here is like 80f = ?c :) Well my system is 25 and load like 27-28. But i'm running at 220 x 11 ( planing more) :p when everything is done. Hope AS5 burns in sometime => been running like a week.
:D.
This is actually a classic example of the misreporting of temps.
If your room temp is @80F ( which is 27C,BTW), it would be VERY unlikely that your load temp is 27C also.
It would be impossible for the idle temp to be lower than room ambient.

So does anyone recommend removing the cpu and pulling the sensor up so it will be touching the CPU? Do I hafta put AS5 under it then?

so is 40c(cpu), 24c(case) load temps really that good or is something wrong here.

That sounds about right for 1.65v and is almost exactly what i had for readings at that voltage with a case temp of 24C Pulling the socket diode up so that it touched the CPU only upped the tems I was reading by maybe 1C though that could be due to a better application of my TIM when I put everything back together. I wouldn't worry about it too much and just focus more on your stability than anything.

clocker2 said:
This is actually a classic example of the misreporting of temps.
If your room temp is @80F ( which is 27C,BTW), it would be VERY unlikely that your load temp is 27C also.
It would be impossible for the idle temp to be lower than room ambient.
Heheh. yeah i know. MY BAD :eek: . My room temp was around 74-77. :D

Tat said:
Heheh. yeah i know. MY BAD :eek: . My room temp was around 74-77. :D
I'm not trying to rag on you, but even that is hard to swallow.
Room ambient of 74-77F is about 23-25C.
A full load temp only 2-3C higher than room ambient would be extraordinary.

I'm going to post a screencap of MBM5 shortly. Having problems connecting to my web space at the moment.

The temps you post are in line with what I get. Are they right? When I try to get diode readings through MBM I get these outrageous readings. I might try to check and see if I can dig up some official info.

I'm just now hearing the the D24 bios shows the Diode temperature, can anyone confirm on this? So the temp you read in the BIOS for the CPU is actually the real diode temp..

I am using Trat's D24 BIOS and it does not access the diode temp using MBM5.
MBM and my BIOS agree very closely so I assume that I am still only getting socket (thermistor) temps.

clocker2 said:
I'm not trying to rag on you, but even that is hard to swallow.
Room ambient of 74-77F is about 23-25C.
A full load temp only 2-3C higher than room ambient would be extraordinary.

indeed

a new record, .04C/w

would (theoretically) be 4 times better than the best watercooling, quite impressive

wake up

ap673 said:
I'm just now hearing the the D24 bios shows the Diode temperature, can anyone confirm on this? So the temp you read in the BIOS for the CPU is actually the real diode temp..

I didn't know flashing your bios unsoldered the on-die sensor from the shutdown chip and re-soldered it to the SMBus chip

impressive also

not

educate yourself

ap673 said:
So are you suppose to guess the diode temperature?

Yes, but even if you read the on-die sensor, it is not incredibly accurate

go look at pHaetsus's work at procooling on calibrating the on-die sensor

Back