• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does adjusting the Vcore really help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr

Alright, this has been messing with me for some time and I want to know the answer, does adjusting the Vcore really help overclocking in a positive way? I adjusted my 2.6 to about 1.7V and it didn't help my overclock what so ever. Is it just a myth, or dosn't work for my p4? Thanks.

It does aid stability sometimes as far I am aware. Maybe not in every case.

I vaguely remember something along these lines: the faster a CPU goes, the more energy is lost when data is being transferred about the CPU. More voltage makes the signal stronger or something.

Thats what is vaguely in the back of my mind... could be wrong.

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr said:
Could my crappy value ram be holding back my overclock?

Possibly. Whats the RAM:FSB ratio just now? Perhaps alter it to see if the FSB will go any higher?

I have a 2.6C also, and I think that it is just a limitation of the chip. I have heard of quite a few people who have had trouble getting High OC's out of the 2.6C's. Most of them just fizzle out at around 3.25Ghz +/- a few mhz. You are lucky that you can get the speed you can get. Mine maxxes out at 3.25Ghz @ 1.6V 5:4. I can give it more vcore, but it doesnt give me much more of an OC to make the increase worth the risk of frying the chip.

Alright, Thanks for all your help and everything. I was messing with the vcore today and put it to about 1.75 (Ive had it at about 1.8V) and my overclock didn't really increase. I had it at 3.43ghz and I tried 3.45 and it make it less stable. I only like pushing my 2.6 when its cold. When its cold, I can get this thing to about 3.6ghz stable. Anyways, Im pretty happy on this 2.6 and glad I got a good overclockable cpu.

I would guess that it may be your ram since it is only rated at 200mhz. I would recomend getting some PC4200. You know your CPU is good enough for that fsb. Then you could run 1:1. You might even get a little more out of your CPU then, at least you would know that your memory would not be the limiting factor. Good luck!

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr said:
Well, its 5:4. Whenever I set it any lower, it crashes even at stock FSB! I think my ram sucks.

it crashes at 1:1 at stock 200MHz? and it's rated PC3200? i say RMA it...assuming you're using spd timings

Well, at 5:4 its at 174mhz with and the effective clock is about 350 or something. I got this VALUE ram about 1 year ago and plan to get rid of it, I might get some pc4000 in return.

I find 1.625 is the best voltage for my particular CPU, even though the recommended high is 1.675 for water.

As for the principle, as the transistors are flicking on/off faster, it increases thier resistance (i believe) which increases thier voltage rated to flick the gate. For example, the northwood has transistors rated at 1.525v but as you increase the speed (and resistance) thier rated voltage is pushed up, and unless you meet this higher voltage requirement, it becomes unstable (transistors do not react)

In principle, that is correct. In microproccessor theorum, possibly not.

~t0m

Yeah I have 2x 256mb Value ram pc3200 with the hynix chip. For some reason it doesn't like to be set to 5:4, it wouldn't even do 180 stable at 5:4 pair with a p4 2.4b 533fsb "but" at 1:1 it will go all the way to 230fsb 2.5-3-3-8 with 2.6v(nothing over 2.6 vdimm will help).

Pretty weird memory I say.

Back