• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

really worried

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rsxnate

OK well this is the first time i have built my own computer... eveyrthing is running great.

But the alarm on the MB keeps going off cause of the temps inside.

Ambient case temp 86.0 f

PWM 67.0 c
cpu 61.0

this is while encoding a dvd.
The case is a Aspire X-dreamer, turbo.

6 - 80mm
small fan on the NB

Room temp? about 83ish?

Im just worried that im going to damage something with those high temps.

Cpu is a 3.0e, NO overclocking thus far. AS5 is on the NB, and p4.

Everything but the ambient case temp came from the Abit U-Guru Utility, that measures temps.

Think i should be worried? it has been really hot lately, im gonna snip the stock fan grills and stuff tomorrow, to open her up a bit.

i will let you know what the temps are tomorrow.

the prescotts are expected to be hot, and the abit temp sensors are known to be ~10 deg higher than what it actually is

i wouldn't really be worried, but if i were o/cing i'd get a new hsf :)

oh, and welcome to the forums!

sorry im really new to building my own machine, old one was a gateway. what is a HSF?

Also... im gonna make some kind of ducting for the 2 front intake fans, cause the holes in the front do not coincide with the location of the fans, that should help, also the covers over the stock fan ports on the back are mediocre at best, im gonna dremel those off tomorrow,a nd use some stocker grills that came with the fans.

Im hoping that some of this will help, at least my peace of mind.

Also... is there a fan just for the pwm??? not sure what the is but ok.

thanks for the quick response...

what is a HSF?

It's a heat sink with a fan on it...HSF..:) Active HS.
Passive HS: no fan

Also... is there a fan just for the pwm??? not sure what the is but ok.

PWM = pulse width modulation...The curcuit converts, dc voltage into a series of pulses, the duration of which is directly proportional to the voltage. Minimizes power loss in the control curcuit.. :burn::)

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS

Your temps aren't bad considering the ambient temps for the room. I also have a 3.0e and it runs around 46-48c idle and into the high 50's low 60's under load. Running Prime95 for a extended period of time will eventually drive it into the mid 60's. My room temps are generally around 80F also.

But the alarm on the MB keeps going off cause of the temps inside.

Have you gone into BIOS yet to see what the temp alarm is set at? The temp might be set too low( 61°C would be a warning temp for Northwoods) and all you'd need to do is to change the temp for the alarm. Your temps aren't that bad for stock cooling, so you're not going to ruin anything with those temps. Good Luck and Welcome to the Forums :)

cool. thanks for helping out a newbie.

pics posted soon.

this morning, ambient case temp: 79f

internal cpu temp, no load... 114f
PWM... 102f

So a huge difference when not under load, i was playing city of heroes, and burning a dvd... lol i saw as high as 165f i decided to shut down and let the as5 cool down. much cooler this morning.

Now 165°F is getting a little too hot (that's 74°C) and it's getting close to the temperature limit for your chip if I can remember the specs right. You might want to make sure that your HS is mounted correctly and that you put the right amount of AS5 in there. Here's the instructions for putting AS5 on the HS LINK

yeah i followed the instructions on the site... put a small dab in the center of the chips heat spreader. on the NB i put a really thin, evenly spread layer on that chip.

Back