• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Coolbits 2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Cool will try them when nvidia comes out with something better then the 53.03's.

Hmmmmmmm, these registry entries alter the way the embedded CoolBits, as activated by NVHardPage (NVHP), display
in the Control Panel. Unfortunately, I deactivated the native CoolBits via NVHP without grabbing a screenshot. My
own stupid fault, and I apologize that I cannot illustrate the difference between the 2 with visual evidence. I
will however attempt to explain the difference verbally.

In the native Control Panel, the Performance and Quality settings were a single page with the options selectable
via a window wherein you would select a given driver function, e.g. AA, AF, IQ. Also, by selecting a checkbox
option, you could display "Advanced Options" such as OpenGL functionality, Vsync, Trilinear and Anisotropic
Optimizations, and the ability to force either true bilinear or trilinear filtering. The Control Panel activated
by these registry entries bears none of these options, as evidenced in the screenshot below. It has been replaced
with only the options to select from a series of preset MIPMAP filters ranging from High Performance to
High Quality. The embedded Control Panel also had Image Quality filter options of High Performance, Performance,
Quality, and High Quality. Here it has been replaced (As shown in the screenshot) with only the High Performance,
Performance, and Quality settings, with no selection of High Quality available. Also, the embedded options for
Anisotropic Filtering included the selection of a 16X setting (though no one would ever attempt to play any game
worth its salt on this setting), wherein here the maximum setting is 8X. The options for AntiAliasing are unchanged,
so far as I can discern.

The Clock Frequencies options are mostly unchanged, with one small exception. The new registry entries add the
option of driver fan control. This is enabled through the use of a checkbox option labeled "Fan Always On". While
this is a catchy feature, it's certainly nothing to run to church over. The "Detect Optimal Frequencies" tab works as
always.

All in all the new registry entries add little new functionality worth the installation. I will, in all
likelihood, uninstall the drivers and revert to the original embedded Control Panel, and activate the CoolBits
option through NVHP.

Attachments

• Clock Frequencies.JPG
    Clock Frequencies.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 137
  • CoolBits2 Perf&Qual Settings.JPG
    CoolBits2 Perf&Qual Settings.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 121
  • MIPMAP options.JPG
    MIPMAP options.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 111
Well, I uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled the 61.36 WHQLs. I grabbed a few screenshots of the Embedded options, as compared to the 3 prints I attached to my first post.I'll attach them so that anyone interested can see the differences I outlined originally.

Attachments

• Embedded MIPMAP options.JPG
    Embedded MIPMAP options.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 98
  • Image Quality filters.JPG
    Image Quality filters.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 93
Where are you guys finding Nvidia drivers? Cause Nvidia is only offering 56.72 or something like that. I hear people talking about 61.xx. Are those Beta Drivers? And is it worthwhile to upgrade now or wait until get posted by Nvidia themselves

Those are a lot of new entries compare to the original CoolBits.....

Code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak]

CoolBits = DWORD = 7
NvCplEnableAGPSettingsPage = DWORD = 1

I believe 7 = ffffffff

Code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak]
"NvCplExposeWin2kDualView"=dword:00000001
"NvCplTvLocaleAutoDetect"=dword:00000001
"NvCplAllowForceTVDetection"=dword:00000001
"NvCplEnableActiveApp"=dword:00000001
"DisableApplyColorsAtStartup"=dword:00000000
"NoMenus"=dword:00000000
"OverlayPageState"=dword:00000000
"CinematicPageState"=dword:000000ff
"NvCplThermalSettings"=dword:00000020
"NvCplEnableAppProfilePage"=dword:00000000
"NvCplEnableScreenMenuPage"=dword:00000001
"NvCplCustomResConfig"=dword:00000000
"NvCplEnableAdditionalInfoPage"=dword:00000001
"NvCplDisablePerfQualPage"=hex:00,00,00,00
"NvCplEnableAGPSettingsPage"=dword:00000001
"CoolBits"=dword:ffffffff
"NvCplEnableOverlaySpanControl"=dword:00000001
"TwinViewCapsOverride"=dword:00000001
"NvCplEnableDesktopOverlapPage"=dword:00000001
"NvCplEnableTroubleshootingPage"=dword:00000001
"NvCplDisableRefreshRatePage"=dword:00000000
"NvCplDisableRotateAngles"=dword:00000000
"NoPages"=dword:00000000
"NvCplEnableClearViewPage"=dword:00000001
"NvCplEnableFanControl"=dword:00000003
"NvCplEnableFrameSyncPage"=dword:00000001
"NvCplEnableHardwarePage"=dword:00000001
"NvCplEnablenForcePage"=dword:00000001
"NvCplEnablePwrMzrOnDesktopMenu"=dword:00000001
"NvCplEnableRotationColorSettings"=dword:00000001
"NvCplNvThermPage"=dword:00000001
"PowermizerPreferences"=dword:00000000
"QTwkEnableModeChangeWarning"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\OpenGL]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\OpenGL\Debug]
"ShaderObjects"=dword:00000001

jonspd said:
Cool will try them when nvidia comes out with something better then the 53.03's.

The 56.72 WHQL drivers are a lot better than the 53.XX series in terms of image quality & speed.

I just installed Coolbits 2. It's increased my 01' mark about 1200 points, aquamark 3 about 800 points, and 03' mark about 110 points. I was able to to get an extra 10mhz on memory and core speeds without any artifacts.

stang8118 said:
I just installed Coolbits 2. It's increased my 01' mark about 1200 points, aquamark 3 about 800 points, and 03' mark about 110 points. I was able to to get an extra 10mhz on memory and core speeds without any artifacts.

What did you do besides install it that got you that boost in performance?
Or do you just install it and boom! instant boost?

stratcatprowlin said:
What did you do besides install it that got you that boost in performance?
Or do you just install it and boom! instant boost?

It wasn't instant, it aloud me to get an extra 10mhz core/mem increased OC. I don't know if it was cause of Coolbits or what.

Back