• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can the applebred durons be used in smp/ what should i do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Darryl_D

hey guys, i was loooking at building an smp rig... only thing is i'm sort of low on cash... i was thinking of getting a motherboard based on the 760mpx chipset... and slapping in 2 durons.... my question is does the applebred durons work on smp???? (i thought i read somewhere that it didn't)... i'll probably upgrade to two mp's when i get some more cash....

secondly... should i not get the setup which i was talking about... and just get a xeon based board or an opteron based board... with just 1 cpu??? will tis cause me problems upgrading later... (and when i say upgrading later i mean anywhere from 6 months to a year? ) I don't have the cash to spend on two of these cpus as they are quite expensive... your thoughts?

for the CPU go with athlon XP Mobiles with a little OCing they have damm good scores on sandra the 2400+ OC to 2.5Ghz are about on par with intell Xeon 3.0Ghz 512 L2 and at 2.6Ghz they put the xeon to shame

I borrow your thread... :D

Is there any good performance with dual Duron's? If it isn't, is it beacause of the small L2 cache?

You might take a slight hit because of the lower L2 cache, but they still support SSE and so forth. If the cost savings are considerable then I would just go with Durons.

Durons will work fine in the K7D (and deliver reasonable performance) with the slight caveat that you need to fill in the three cut L5 bridges and use my patched BIOS. Or otherwise be stuck at the default multiplier of the Duron (which will have it running far short of its 2.2GHz+ potential).

Yes u can use Applebreds on the K7D. Even locked ones :D with the mobile hack (yes 2 mobile and mp bridges closed cpus) and emboss's bios (mandatory on K7D for 2 mobile bridges closed in 1 system). I am using one right now and it works and OCes (to about 2190 right now, temps (58-60 C) scaring me to go higher on voltage).

Back