• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

router computers can't see hub computers???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Darryl_D

okay guys, my brother just bought a laptop... and so we were like meh why not get a small little wireless portion setup to our home network... so we went out and bought a wireless router.... (its made by netgear... too lazy to go check model number... as i am all the way in the basement.. and the router is way up there on the 2nd floor) Previously we had our network setup as so....

CABLE MODEM ------------>>>>>>>>> Uplink on HUB----------->PC's.

Now we have the setup as so....
Cable MOdem---------------->Uplink on HUB---------->PC's and the Router--------->Laptop

Okay so we configured the router and all that mess... and before you knew it his laptop was online... ONly problem is this... the laptop can't see (ping to...) the computers on teh hub... and the computers on the hub can't see (ping to) the laptop on the router...

Anyone know how i can fix this little problem... NOTE: teh router only has 4 ports for computers... and we have 7 computers hooked up at the moment...
also we would like to try and not hook up anything to the router, as my brother is going to be taking it with him to college...

That should work correctly. I have something similar here. T1-switch-PC's/wireless router - laptop.

Plug the cable to the laptop into a regular port, not the uplink/WAN. I also set my laptop to a statip IP# (obviously one matching those others on the network) and disabled DHCP on the wireless router

I'm confused with this:

modem > hub > router

I really feel that it should be:

Modem > router > hub.

Set the router to enable DHCP. on all win ME and above machines, run the wizard. For win 9x, start | run type winipcfg. Do a release then a renew.

Make sure that all machines are in the same workgroup.

Hope that helps.

to restate... i don't want to hook up my pc's to the router.... i want to keep them all on teh hub.....

cw823... can you please clarify the setup that you are using??? Also, can teh wan ever be on uplink??? for the laptop we are not using any cable whatsoever... just using the wan....

Darryl_D said:
to restate... i don't want to hook up my pc's to the router.... i want to keep them all on teh hub.....

cw823... can you please clarify the setup that you are using??? Also, can teh wan ever be on uplink??? for the laptop we are not using any cable whatsoever... just using the wan....

It's perfectly fine the way it is. No reason to use uplink/wan port on your wireless router. Just plug a cable from the hub and connect it to port 1 on your wireless router. Where do your PC's get their IP addresses from?

And can you use the cable modem on all PC's? Curious how you're doing that without a router.

SavageBasher said:
Why don't you want to connect them to the router?

I have the same thing. One router....for all of our PC's here....that goes to a hub. I just branch off the hub, and use the router for my wireless only. Mainly because it's a 4 port router and we have two 24 port hubs (lots of PC's)

turn the router "router" mode instead of "gateway". Also what is assigning IPs in your home? is it the cable isp giving you 7ips? If so that must cost quite a bit of $$!

do you pay for multiple ip's? i'm not sure about now, but charter used to let you do that setup, modem---->hub/switch---->pcs. what this did though, was assign an ip address to each pc. they let you do this, but usually called you and said hey, you're drawing more than one ip, you need to give us more $$ for each one.

if you want the laptop to be able to ping the machines on the hub, you're going to need to put the machines behind the router, as they will all need to be on the same subnet. Machines cannot communicate with machines on another subnet without having a router between them(a router running a routing protocol, not NAT, like post above said. I think most soho routers are capable of running RIP)

You should go modem----->router----->hub------>desktops. When he leaves for college, either buy a new router or go back to the setup you're currently running.

Any other reasons you're opposed to putting your desktops behind the router?

TimDgsr said:
do you pay for multiple ip's? i'm not sure about now, but charter used to let you do that setup, modem---->hub/switch---->pcs. what this did though, was assign an ip address to each pc. they let you do this, but usually called you and said hey, you're drawing more than one ip, you need to give us more $$ for each one.

if you want the laptop to be able to ping the machines on the hub, you're going to need to put the machines behind the router, as they will all need to be on the same subnet. Machines cannot communicate with machines on another subnet without having a router between them(a router running a routing protocol, not NAT, like post above said. I think most soho routers are capable of running RIP)

You should go modem----->router----->hub------>desktops. When he leaves for college, either buy a new router or go back to the setup you're currently running.

Any other reasons you're opposed to putting your desktops behind the router?

I'm assuming he already has the other PC's connected to the net. You're not hearing me when I'm saying that if that is correct, there is NO reason to install the router between the modem & the hub. I have 3 networks on which I use my laptop. It is as I described on 2 of them.

cw823 said:
I'm assuming he already has the other PC's connected to the net. You're not hearing me when I'm saying that if that is correct, there is NO reason to install the router between the modem & the hub. I have 3 networks on which I use my laptop. It is as I described on 2 of them.

AH, i read you now. I didnt' even think about it that way, good call :beer:

I'm still curious as to what's assigning the ip addresses though ;)

Back