• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6800gt dissapointments

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

copper_top

Well I got my evga 6800gt directly from the Evga website a week ago. I haven't had a NVIDIA card in about two years and my first complaint is that frankly i find their drivers a little confusing. My old card wass a radeon 9500 non pro. Framerates were lacking in some games but image quality was amazing.

My 6800gt is almost te opposite. I havent benched it all but I dont feel I need to because framerates are fine in every game I play. I do have some conserns about the image quality though. In Halo when I cloak I dont get the cool refracting effect, I just turn transparent (this is a huge dissapointment). There are allot of problems in farcry. In the night levels allot of objects arent textured, the ground textures are severly blured ocasionaly, and the image quality is sometimes jsut plain lacking when compared to the x800s.

Do you guys think these are driver problems and can be fixed? or should I toss this sucker in the dumpster and get an x800?

ill give it to you for boardwalk and park place....and your get out of jail free card

99.9999% sure it's drivers.
http://www.guru3d.com/
Play around with the drivers. (some of the beta's are sometimes really good) As far as I know there isn't really a "yeah this works great in all games 100% official" driver yet.... the Nvidia driver department isn't up to total speed with their cards...

copper_top said:
Yes and Yes
have you changed the Image Quality setting to High Quality instead of the default Quality? AA and AF Opt. is on by default too, they are disabled when you set to high quality, dunno about the AF opt. but the AA opt. sucks

the official 61.76whql drivers are on the NV webby

Last edited:
Thats very odd. I had a 9800XT and the quality is extremely close if not exactly the same. I am running the latest whql drivers and have everything at the default settings.

These problems u are having with farcry are common to Most Nvidia cards. The good news being they are fixed with patch 1.2. And it just came out. Go get it then tell me how u went.

I would imagine that this problem would be related to the drivers as others have said, because none of what you describe occurs on my 6800 standard from eVGA. If that doesn't help ask eVGA if it could be hardware related.

L>MS said:
I would imagine that this problem would be related to the drivers as others have said, because none of what you describe occurs on my 6800 standard from eVGA. If that doesn't help ask eVGA if it could be hardware related.

U go install the patch too. It rocks for nvidia cards. It randomly crashes ATI cards.

Did you use a driver cleaner or reformat? Sounds like its one of THOSE problems. Like verbatim said too. Go, get the 1.2 patch. And wait untill Doom3 so you can play it with your GT.

I am still amazed at the difference the patch made on my GT, and even the 6800NU rocks doom 3 from the benchmarks I have seen. If its remotely true, ATI is going to have some catching up to do.

how would one go about enabling ps 2.0 in halo if they were so inclined?

There is a sting that you have to add to the end of the shortcut... google around for it I can't exactelly remember what it is right now. it's like -forceps2 or something...

well, for some reason, nvidia cards have never been able to render the active camo effect. I saw someone use a program to make the computer think it was a 9800 PRO and it worked beautifully. I forget the name of the program he used.

I see one common problem with your Vid card, and games (both Halo and Farcry).................. DRIVERS.

This is what I will do if I am you.

Halo:
It is a very buggy game. Make sure you have the latest patch for this game.

FarCry:
It is know to have clipping issues. Update the latest patch for this game.

6800GT:
You switched from ATI to Nvidia. If you did not completely remove the old vid drivers, you may run into problems. Did you do the following?

(1) While your ATI card is still in your comp, uninstall the drivers.
(2) Use Nasty File Remover program (NFT), or equivalent to remove the residual files completely from your computer.
(3) Shut down your computer.
(4) Replace your 9500 with the 6800GT card.
(5) Boot up computer and install the latest Nvidia driver.

Just make sure you completely remove your old ATI driver files before you install the Nvidia driver. hopefully, this information is helpful to you,

Back