• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

*Official* DOOM3 System Req.s/Rec.s

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cruc1fy

From Todd Hollenshead (idSoftware CEO)

1.5-gigahertz Intel Pentium 4 chip or AMD Athlon 1500.
384 megabytes of memory.
Two gigabytes of hard drive space.
An nVidia GeForce 3 graphics card or better; or an ATI Technologies 8500 or better.

To get the most out of the game, a 3GHz P4 or Athlon equivalent, 512MB to 1GB RAM, and Geforce 6800 FX/ATI 9800 or better would be ideal.

Cool, my system might just make it in medium settings.

AMD 2200+
768 MB PC 2700 RAM
Radeon 9800 Pro

I can't wait until this game is out.

I'd recommend at least a 2.5Ghz processor, a gig of RAM, and at least the 9800Pro to really give the graphics their credit.

I wish I could get a 2.5 GHZ, but my current mobo only lets me run up to 2200+. And I don't have any money. I might get a 512 stick of RAM and take out a 256 to run a gig.

So basically it's balls to the '512Mb recccomended for ultra quality use' theory then? An X800XT would be enough it seems.

Hopefully I'll be able to get an X800 by then, if not then my 9800np is going to have to handle it at 1024x768.

That Tom's hardware review was the middle of last year... At that time, iD was letting the FX5900 use a special "NV30" (half-precision) rendering path while the ATI card was running the "ARB2" (full precision) rendering path.

Since that date, Carmack has removed the NV30 rendering path and forced all the DX9 cards to run in ARB2 mode. As such, I very much expect those FX5900 numbers to be significantly lower than that benchmark shows, for very obvious reasons.

Hopefully there isn't much of a difference between a 2.2 and a 2.5 Ghz CPU in terms of this games performance. I'm thinking as long as you got a 2Ghz CPU paired with a high end vid card you should be good to go. But dont forget the RAM of course.

Yea, I'd take those benches with several grains of salt. Those benches are over a year old and probably done w/ the E3 demo from 2003. Definitely not finished optimized D3. Given Albequerque's statement, I'd also expect the real 5900 benches to be significantly lower too. ;)

Back