• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cheap 4port 10/100 hub/switches?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TimDgsr

Anyone know where to buy some really cheap ones? Looking for about 40-50. Don't care about name brand, as these are acceptable losses if they die.

I've had good luck with those gigafast 8port switches as well, I have 2 that have gone through many a lan party with no problems at all.

dlink offers a 5 port switch that i have not had any problems with. Autodect uplink so its pretty good stuff. Can be had for like $30 at altex where i got mine.

Mr. Chambers said:
I know you asked for a Hub, and I realize you asked for a 4-port, but I've had GREAT luck with these switches here, from newegg. I've been using 2 of them in my home network (about 12 computers, throughout the house), and one even runs off my smoothwall firewall box, so it has near constant activity.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductdesc.asp?description=17-201-202&depa=0

i'll be looking into this one as a real possibility. i put hub/switch as it doesn't realy matter to me which one it is. i would prefer switch, but i really just needed it to be as cheap as possible ;)

thanks for the comments guys, keep em coming if you can beat $20 :beer:

how many computr u got on your LAN if say 4 or 5 and you do aot of transfring of files or all 5 are in use @ once - be betetr off to spend that little bit more $$ and get a switch.

there is absolutely no reason to NOT get a switch, they are just as cheap as hubs and clearly better due to the seperation of network segments to allow for full duplex transfers.

thanks for the thoughts guys, but hub/switch doesn't matter for what i need. i just needed them CHEAP. probably going with those 8ports from newegg though.

TimDgsr said:
thanks for the thoughts guys, but hub/switch doesn't matter for what i need. i just needed them CHEAP. probably going with those 8ports from newegg though.

you shouldn't have any problems, like i said - i've been using them for months, heavy usage, no problems!

Back