Registered

Strange Memory Error when playing CS

Error: "The instruction at [XXXX] referenced memory at [XXXX]. The memory could not be read."

That is the error I keep getting after about 2 minutes of playing Counter-Strike through steam. CS then quits automatically. I never got this error before and I have not changed anything on my computer. Anyone seen anything like this before? I primed my computer for about 8 hours with no errors so I should be stable. I want to test the memory and I know everyone likes to use memtest86, but what version do you use and how do I use it to test my memory. Sorry for being such a noob.

a few others are having this issue. See this post on the Steam forums: http://www.steampowered.com/forums/s...threadid=96483

I did not read through the 380 odd posts to find a solution however.

10 Year Badge
    Those kind of errors are usually software errors. Blue screens will mean it's hardware.
    UMPC:
    Asus EEE 701(4G)
    Laptops:
    Lenovo T60p
    Servers:
    IBM XServ
    Heatware

Registered
    Thanks for the help guys. According to the steam forum, this problem is happining to lots of people. I went to my friends house and updated his steam and the same thing happened to him. So I am assuming that Steam is messed up and they need to fix that crap ASAP!!!!

Yeah, it happened in all of our scrims yesterday. Stupid bug needs to be fixed ASAP

same here. Its the update... we get to have fun until they fix it....

I also get this i just thought it was thanks to my 256 stick of dell ram

Senior Overclocking Magus felinusz's Avatar
    I have had this problem as well, although not in CS.

It has only ever happened to me on one specific map in Warcraft III - weird, eh?