• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone using Gigabyte 3D Cooler on MSI 865PE-Neo2 PLS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gloomyz

Hi all, tried searching for Gigabyte 3D cooler but couldn't seem to find anything. I would like to know if anyone is using this CPU cooler on their MSI 865PE Neo2?

The review is here : - http://www.digital-daily.com/cooling/gigabyte-3d-cooler/

It says it may not fit motherboards whose capacitors are too near the socket. My motherboard seems like its capacitors are really near, but I have no idea how near is near.

So if anyone has successfully fitted this cooler on their motherboard of the same model, I would appreciate a confirmation so that I can consider buying it. Thanks!

When I descided to go with the cooler I had same issue. But on a GA-7VM266- AMD 2400+ and that is very tight board.
The width of the thing is 3.5 inches (lil under).
I am not sure on the size of the P4 but I know it(GB pro) fits alot of boards, unless it is VERY tight config. If you center 3.5 inches on you Ziff socket you will see if it can clear. I looked at "your board" model and the only issue I have is the NB cooler. I would worry more about that than your electronics.
I give it a good probabilty of working. I looked at the manual to see pictures of it sitting in that black ring around P4's, and I think it should sit right nicely.

Last edited:
Hi EnablingWolf!

Thanks for the information. My current cpu fan and heatsink from Intel seems to measure about 3.5-3.7 inches from clip to clip, so I guess the 3D should fit. :D

I didn't know this model had the Pro and Ultra, but I was reading that the Ultra sucked and was helluva noisy. Is the base version 3D cooler good enough as it is?

My PCs not overclocked, but I'm not sure if I wanna go that route soon.

Well the pro is hella noisy too, but the speed adjustment knob tames it.
These aren't the best coolers; nice, but not awsome. In the looks dept, SWEET!! IMO The LED is hella bright. Very easy to install, and no tools. For looks, with better than stock temps., this CPU cooler should do the trick fer ya. It handles OC'in alright though if you go that route later, just nothing insane.
But if you want great cooling, I would start looking into Thermaright products.

By the way Welcome to the forums :D

Oh on a note the Artic silver 5 works great with this product. I would get a tube along with the purchase, if you don't have a tube lying around. It comes with TIM, but I haven't used it, I perfer AS5.

Thanks for the welcome! :D

I do need to get myself some thermal compound whether I buy a new fan or not cuz I juz changed motherboards and I shifted my entire old setup to this current new motherboard. My board seems to have heat issues from what I've read and I'm recording temps of 60 deg or more sometimes with SpeedFan software.

I guess the heatsink may not be picking up the chip's heat as much as it should... so mebe AS5 will fix it... but AS5 with a new fan will definitely be sweet =)

I'm currently running with an open casing with a mini table fan blowing into the PC.

My casing supports a 120mm fan for the front and back each (currently empty) and I am gonna get a SuperFlower 450W Power Supply (120mm exhaust fan on the PSU).... tat'll be wicked! :thup: Plus a good cpu cooler (water cooling in future? heh...) and I'm all set..

So what's your setup like? I would lurve to hear about it. Any other recommendations would be most welcomed. Thermaright you say? I'll check 'em out ;)

Look into Fortron or Sparkle for your PSu needs, they are really nice, and worth the extra bucks you spend:D. Get some good 120's and you should be all good. Till you get further into cooling your pc.
If you do a search on fans in this forum you will find there is a variety of fans you can use. Are you going silent or all out for air.. some fans can be quite annoying (unless you 7v mod them). One rule of thumb is in from the bottom and out the top. You could even put a blowhole in the top of the case, that would create more airflow. On the note of airflow, have you done any wire manegment? Sleeving not only looks neat, it helps with airflow. But if you were to.. lets say tuck some extra wires between the mobo tray and the side panel. It would clean the inside up alot and get them pesky air resticting wires outtas the airflow. Tucking wires into a unused drive bay helps too. Rounded cables are nice wy also, or just mod the ribbons, even just moving (attaching) the cables to the side of tray. Try to get as much non-obstructed air going through the case as possible. I got like 5°C drop in case temp cleaning up my airflow. Another way to drop temps(CPU) is lapping the HS and using AS5 you can squeeze another 10°C on the (est.) outta it. On my stock cooler It was hella nice to see an imediate 4°C (went from 50°C - 40° after AS5 set in period) drop after the lap. One mod I have also done is put a fan on the floor of the case. Oh can't forget that I have a fan right over the CPU cooler blowing air directly onto the Gigabyte cooler. Right now My temps, idle sit at around CPU-36°C Case- 36°C. My case temps are lil skewed due to air washing over the mobo sensor. I am still moving stuff around as I feel frisky to solve this issue. Every PC has different needs and not one way will cure the heat issue. So be prepared to adjust your airflow to accomidate, if needed.
But there is lots of ways to drop temps and get that side panel back on.
BTW what case are you using? That helps, maybe someone who has the same case will notice and offer input. :D

Edit: Cut out them fan grids out, that is a common way to get them fans more air, and not as noisey.

Last edited:
Great detailed information =)

I got some sleeved IDE cables that came with my mobo, so tat'll help out with the airflow... I'll check around wat else I can tuck...

Btw, the 3D cooler uses 3-pin fan plug or a 4-pin Molex? Seems like from the review pics it has multiple sockets although they say it uses a 4-pin. Also, where does the controller-knob-panel-thingie get mounted?

My case is some uknown brand called 6A series. Couldn't find much more info on it. It looks rather nice and I think with options for 120mm fans, its pretty much performance based too. Has a front fan filter too. I like the Raidmax Scorpio 668 but tat'll have to wait till my cooling is done... =)

btw, off-topic, how do u make the deg celsius symbol? did u use the alt key + some numbers? wat are the numbers? heee.. thanks! :)

For getting the ° symbol you use the Alt+0176(numberpad):D
The wires setup have a 3 lead setup that comes off the cooler itself. One to molex, one to header and one to the controller. The contoller has an option to mount it in an unused floppy bay, or a PCI slot. I just mounted it in an unused (hole cut) drive cover. The only tool I used on the install was the drill to get the mounting hole. But for using the install kit for the controller all you need is a screwdriver.

Last edited:
Gloomyz, if you are looking to use the SP-94 be careful as the heat pipes hit the northbridge cooler
I just removed the northbridge cooler from the board and cut one " Fin" off of it . This was enought to provide the clearance that I needed.

Go with the SP-94 and a 92 mm Fan you will not be sorry

Dave

EnablingWolf : Thanks for all the info =) I was concerned about the molex pins because most PSUs only have 2 Floppy Drive connectors, 1 which is used for the floppy drive. If the other is used for a cpu fan, and lets say a 3rd fan needed a floppy drive connector again, I would prob have to get a IDE to Floppy Y cable which I dun tink is tat readily available over here.

Dcasole : I read about the Sp-94... I think its superb and even managed to oust one of the water cooling systems (but prob cuz it used an aluminium waterblock). I'll keep that in mind as a choice =) Heard its a little difficult to install and stuff, and now knowing that I will have to cut of a fin doesn't help... but thanks for that important bit of info!

Personally I can't think of one fan that is plgged into a floppy power source. Most I have seen are powered by the four pin molex or the mobo header. Some even come with a 3 pin mobo/molex adapter due to the fact they are drawing more amps than the header can handle.
Word of advice.. try not to run any fans or acessories off the same line as HD or ROM's.

Back