• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

****My Latest Dremel Etch****

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Celeron_Phreak

Everyone has something they really love. Mine is Trance, House, Prog. Trance, Dream Trance, Euro Trance, Vocal Trance....Just, Trance! :p.

Anyway, I've been wanting to etch something into my case window for about a year now, but I wanted it to be something that kind of expresses me, and something people could ask about and I could explain to them......IF they were interested in the background of my etching :).

Well while doing some routine checks on some of the threads I've started and post in, I noticed Jeff Bolton made a post stating one word....PLUR. I was totally lost, as I didn't know what it meant. So as usual, I took the "word" to Google, and learned it was something to do with techno and raves. P.L.U.R stands for Peace, Love, Unity, Respect; and they are the "four pillars" of raving. This I had found to be quite interesting, and something that would be easy to etch, and something I believe in.

So....Here's the etch!

etch1.jpg

etch3.jpg

What do you think? It took me two - three hours to finish. And I guess it's not totally "finished", because I'm thinking of adding two horizontal "stripes" across the top and bottom of the current etch. Should I do this? Yes or No?

~C.P.

oh god no!! not PLUR - plur is SO overrated and the only people who tend to use it are the hardcore ravers - hope you know - you have now condemend your self to a life of being called a raver / candy kid

but a good note - very nice etching!

Can anyone else say the same as Mr.Guvernment? I have absolutely no problem with other people thinking this about me, since I don't care too much about other people's negativity towards or about me. I have a few people at work who call me raver boy or candy kid just because I listen to "techno" as they call it (even though I correct them to call it Trance), so I'm pretty used to it. Even if I will get it more often, no harm done. I'd still be alive, wouldn't I? ;)

Anyway, I used the #105 Engraving Cutter bit that came with my dad's dremel to do a touch-up of everything. But I did a really rough "trace" of the original stencil with the #191 High-Speed Cutter which also came with the dremel.

I'm finding that the #105 bit jumps around too much to make straight lines, etc and the #100 or the #115 works a lot better in terms of stability although the lines they make are pretty thick. Any hints?

I've never used the 100 or the 115 bits before, all I can say is you really need a steady hand to use the #105. I just take it really slow, and do somewhat "brush strokes" from bottom to top, in about 1 centimeter sections of the line. When doing corners, I do probably about half that, or just enough so I don't go outside the line and loose control.

Just don't try to do one line or shape in one long stroke, or you will definitely go outside your goal and mess things up. Etching can't be rush, and can never be done to slow. If you're DESPERATE for perfection (to impress or show off to others ;)), then take it as slow as you think you need to in order to make it picture perfect (I never have understood that saying completely).

I came on to etching pretty well last year when I started, but I got a BAD sore throat from breathing in all the lexan dust, so I stopped for a few weeks and didn't do anything until now. still need to finish my Max Payne etch.....

P.S. I have a dremel like the one below, and I usually have it set to the third speed when etching, or I DO loose control of it and it'll bounce, or it'll start to dig into the plastic. This is the older version of the dremel, and I haven't seen them in stores anymore. I wish I could find another one for myself (instead of using my dad's), since I like the way they fit the hand versus the newer gray ones.

dremel.jpg

Great job!

Hard to make out the 'ity' under the 'U'. Might be the pic though.
So there's no dot after the R?

Nope, thought I'd make it a little bit unique :).

The "ity" under the U is partially the picture and partially my fault. The picture is a bit blurry, and that's part of the reason. The other part is that the Y in "Unity" is bigger than the I. Which, in a blurry picture, makes it look scrambled up a bit.

I better get to be though, need to wake up in.....WOW, 6 hours. Eh, nite all.

Celeron_Phreak said:
Can anyone else say the same as Mr.Guvernment? I have absolutely no problem with other people thinking this about me, since I don't care too much about other people's negativity towards or about me. I have a few people at work who call me raver boy or candy kid just because I listen to "techno" as they call it (even though I correct them to call it Trance), so I'm pretty used to it. Even if I will get it more often, no harm done. I'd still be alive, wouldn't I? ;)

is allg odo - i know the feeling - i use to hang around on a few places well labeled as "raver" boards even though they werent really (www.purerave.com and www.hulla.info) they were just cool palces back in the party days!

Anyways - is all godo - as long as you beleive in what it stands for - i guess that is what i should of said - so many so called "ravers" who think raving is about the clothes and music and PLUR!!!!!!!! - when it is not, well the firts 2 @ least.

Celeron_Phreak, I don't know how many pics you took while doing this (or if you only took the "after" pics). If you took a few during, and close up pics of the tools, this would make for a good front page article. ;)

It's something I've always wanted to try... I can't recall ever seeing an article written up on this out front...

I just got a new Dremel (actually a Black & Decker "Wizard"...same thing, different name..LOL), and I'd like to learn other things to use it for other than cutting out holes for radiators and fans.. :p

Hehe, O.K. I'm going to be repainting some of the inside of my case this coming up friday and saturday while I've got the time off, so while the paint it drying I can do the article. Don't worry, I'll find something simple to etch and easy enough to get everyone started :)

nice engraving. I just finished making something useful instead of distructive w/ my drmeml, my first real project. Just some steel for an adapter for the drop on my friends paintball gun, but it would have been impossible without the cuttof wheel or spiral saw (which is great for enlarging holes, it bounces around randomly and makes the hole bigger at a reletively measured rate). The drill just made the initial holes. I even used that acorn shaped grinding bit that i found w/ the drill but works better w/ the dremel to make pilot holes. Overall, it came out well.

Thats about all i can do with my dremel though, cut stuff. I would LOVE to see an engraving guide, i remember seeing the old post but it didnt make sense because i had never used a dremel.

I think it was NcBaller1985 who got me started with etching. Was he the one who did the Halo etch? Man that thing is full of detail. He's a professional window etching, and the last time I checked he was doing them for some extra $$$. Baller, where are ya man?? :)

Last I heard from him on a post here, he was going to do a tutorial on etching, like what you're asking from me, and he'd go through differant techniques. I gave him a year (it's been about a year now) and I haven't seen anything, so I think I'll take over until he shows up :).

Celeron_Phreak.... how old are you? I read in another thread that you don't even have a drivers license... You under 16? Nice job on the etching by the way.

I am 16, going on 17 on the 24th of next month. I don't have a drivers liscence cause I don't really have a need for one right now. The mall is across the street, CompUSA and all my computer stores are just around the corners (as are all the grocerie stores), so is Home Depot, and work is a 2 minute bicycle ride away.

So....I get a nice leg workout with the biking, and arm workout with my glowstick raving (the first day I started, I was sore for two days after).

^^ dido - i still dont ave a license and i am 24 :) alwyas had friends going where i was or i biked or bladed or just walked.

Back