• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what are safe oc'ing temps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
yeah, you dont wanna go higher than 60. I think it was at 80 where it'll kill the core. I ran at 200x11 on my unlocked barton for roughly 9 months w/ air cooling. Was about 52-55 with OCZ Ultra 2, changed to AS5 when i found out the OCZ had no silver in it. Then it ran about 45-50. Switched to water, 38/39 idle and 42 load.

thenerd said:
my max load temp is at 52, is this too high? 2500 mobile @ 3200 btw
I think it is little warn for that speed.
What kindd HSF u using?. I have tried Zalman and settling with Thermalright SP-97 now. :)

Some say those temps are a little high. amd I know run alittle hotter. I would see about a better cooling option. I have a P4 2.6 and idle runs32/load 38-40. I keep it cool in that room i have a thing about any temp over 45 i dont like it but that is just a personnel thing.

well i really don't wanna buy better cooling, i already have AS5 with thermalright alx 800 with a 42cfm fan.

If you are ocing and getting that high temps with a alx800 then you might try reseating the hsf and making sure you get the right amount of as5 if there is a thing is the right amount, i prolly use to much. But i would say that there is not enough as5 or the thing needs to be reseated... my two pennies anyways... Water cool it lol

check my sig and that combo is great for cooling. its hot as hell in my room. I have a dryer in my room and my temps right now are like 42c idle and 45c at most when gaming. I have speed controller on my 120mm exhaust fan, 80mm Tt side window fan and my UFO fan. so if temps get high i turn the speed up. This combo i have is great for air cooling. It doesnt get much better than this for air cooling unless the a/c is on then i get like 38c and 42c gaming. I ran prime95 on this for 5 and half hours and no errors or warnings. I ran sandra with the a/c on for 56 cycles on cpu arithmetic and benchmark and my temps got 42c avg. GL

well this sux, prime95 just failed on 1.725vcore after a mere 1 hour.

case fans? heh i got 5 of them + a dual fanned psu. 1 back exhausts, 1 psu back exhaust, 1 side blowing into the mobo, 2 fronts blowing in, and 1 at the side blowing into mobo. temps got better today as it is cooler, right now i'm getting 42 idle and 48 max load under prime95.

i think now i'll change my ram timing to 8-2-2-3, and down the vcore to 1.7 again... which lasted me the longest at 3 hours and 40 minutes on prime

the only thing I can think of is maybe your ambient temps are just plain high or maybe your psu is working too hard to power the system..... what type of psu are you using?

Or maybe it's just not stable with prime. There are actually quite a few comps like that including mine.

Mine also goes down when running toast, yet I can run F@H 100% for over a week straight with no AC while in Arizona. About 110ºF here, and also play Need for speed underground, Pandora Tomorrow, Far Cry, listen to music, Render, and do all my other basic things. So as long as it's stable with your general usage, youre fine.

Cerberus2k7 said:
Or maybe it's just not stable with prime. There are actually quite a few comps like that including mine.

Mine also goes down when running toast, yet I can run F@H 100% for over a week straight with no AC while in Arizona. About 110ºF here,

wow.... you must be in AZ or NV, you folks like it hot :D

i dunno, ive ran prime95 for 5 and half hours with 0 errors and 0 warnings. So im considering my system fully stable. Ive also ran sandra for 56cycles and same thing. I would try those 2. Personally i would just keep track of your temps. Lower the volt's to the lowest they will go w/o acting up.

SportyGuy220 said:
i dunno, ive ran prime95 for 5 and half hours with 0 errors and 0 warnings. So im considering my system fully stable. Ive also ran sandra for 56cycles and same thing. I would try those 2. Personally i would just keep track of your temps. Lower the volt's to the lowest they will go w/o acting up.

I've long stopped using prime to test my stability. I find it's not very consistant, and you can still get errors after 12 hours. Just do your usual routine (play games, listen to music, multitask) and see if there's any instability.

Back