• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dreadlord79

It looks like the only way you can currently get a 1MB cache on a Socket 939 Athlon 64 is on the FX-53 right now; Am I right? This seems like a big time premium for dual channel and 1MB of cache! Also, when are mobo's with PCI-Express coming for the 939? I won't have the finances any time soon and this is why I am trying to look ahead since the G/F is whining about the system performance of the current system and I would like to feed her a date and price that she might want to save up for, for a change. Thank you all!

You're giving your GF an AMD-FX? You are one very dedicated guy, and she, a very lucky gal. :santa: You're right though, only way you're gonna get dual-channel of 1MB L2 cache is through the mind-numbing,wallet-draining path of the FX on a S939. As for the timing, looks like it will be sometime next year we'll see PCI-E on 939's. I don't know of any definite date though. Hopefully, when dual-core cpu's roll out next year that will neutralize the FX's price premium, still not sure enough.

The AMD policy on FX's is that the price remains unchanged and they merely replace the older FX (say 53) with a faster version (55) at the same price. Only way to get a cheaper one is look for end of line specials or refurbs. If you are looking for a A64 939 expect the 3500+ to be around USD250 by November.
PCI-E mobos such as those with the NF4, SIS 755FX, SIS 756 or K8T890 chipsets we will hopefully see wider availability by year's end.

Back