• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AN7 and SP-97 installation questions/problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GoldenTiger

I bought a new AN7 motherboard, Thermalright NB-1C northbridge heatsink, and a Thermalright SP-97 heatsink to use with my system. I had no problems really installing the NB-1C, but the SP-97 is giving me a lot of headaches. I ordered the Neo Backplate incase I needed it, as well since I read you do on some boards.

Anyway, my problem is that, using the default backplate that comes with the SP-97, three of the standoffs go in seemingly OK, but the fourth won't thread properly with the backplate. I installed the backplate per the directions (plastic sheet inbetween the motherboard and backplate, large plastic washers between standoff and motherboard), but this fourth one just won't tap properly. If I tilt it slightly and then try, it goes in a little, but stops pretty quickly as though it were fully tightened. However, it isn't really in properly because the heatsink doesn't make any contact with the CPU core (no Arctic Silver 5 imprint whatsoever on the base of the heatsink).

I'm not sure if I should be using the Neo Backplate or the regular one, which could be my problem also (perhaps the backplate that came with the heatsink isn't supposed to work?). I've been at this for awhile trying to figure it out (not to mention other headaches with removing my old motherboard such as a stripped screwhead, a standoff stuck to the screw it was attached to, etc. etc.) and am really confused as to how to properly do this. This is my first time using a bolt-on heatsink, so it is an entirely new experience to me, and not one I am liking .

Also, I noticed that with the fan on the NB-1C, the SP-97 doesn't look like it would fit alongside it (the fins of the SP-97 seem like they would hit the fan of the NB-1C unless I put the SP-97 in a position that it wouldn't line up with the standoff mounting holes). Any ideas on this, or should I just leave the fan off (not happy with doing that since I wanted to have the active cooling on the northbridge, but the NB-1C is a hefty copper heatsink so it should do fine)?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide!

I had the normal backplate on mine and it worked fine, you just can't screw in a sandoff unless you chop a corner off it. The nb-1c should be fine passive.

Anyone know of a detailed installation guide with large pictures for installing the Neo Backplate, or can write even the basics of installing it?

Thanks! From the pictures there I was able to figure it out, and am now typing from the upgraded system :)! The 92mm fan I picked out is a bit noisier than I expected, but man does it cool well :p!

One more quick question... when I screwed in the heatsink with the spring-loaded screws, I tightened it as far as it would go and then turned it back about 1/8 of a turn. Does this put enough pressure on the CPU core for good heat transfer, or should I go back into the case and tighten it down?

They should be tightened all the way down..I've seen instances where they have backed off, from not being properly torqued..But don't use brute force, those are small screws..;)

It wouldn't hurt to check them now and then..Although, I've not had any prob.'s with my SP-94 HS screws backing off..:thup:

What type TIM did you use?

I used Arctic Silver 5 as my TIM :). I'll check them once every so often just to make sure... a couple of minutes every now and then is definitely worth not risking parts of the system.

Back