• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP! flash drive problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MuEagle05

Ok so yesterday i formatted my USB flash drive to NTFS. Well i removed it by clicking the taskbar icon and stopping it. So i come in this morning and plug the USB drive back in, and it just keeps giving an error 'no disk in drive'!! I can't format it, open it, anything. Same thing on several computers.

Does someone know how to fix this? OMG i hope so i'm desperate

Not 100% on this but I think most flash is not meant to be formated too NTFS, only FAT and FAT32? I would call / check the web site of the maker of the flash mem to see if there is a tool you can use. Or try another reader.

Yeah it's reading as a removable drive but says there's no media in it, so the web-site utilities won't even work. Well, I'll try DOS or Linux, i have a slight hope it might get me somewhere. If not, i'll kick and scream for a bit, buy a new one, and be able to post what the inside of a thumb drive looks like when i smash the old one against the wall.

:bang head: :mad: :bang head: :mad:

Nope, no luck with Linux, can't mount it. F I'm screwed. AND a kick in the balls is not only do i lose all my data, I have to buy a new thumb drive. Snap.

You could try to RMA it. I know all my thumb drives have some level of warranty and I would think they have a way to "low level" (take it back to original) format them.

Yes it does. Instead of under the Removable storage section. I can see that it's plugged in, but it wants me to insert media, kind of like a zip drive would work.

Back