• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6800 NU passive cooled, GDDR3 with only 8 pipes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fafnir

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/akiba/hotline/20040731/image/nr682.html

apparently, its a passive cooled standard 6800, with both GDDR3 and only 8 pipes

nr681.jpg

nr682.jpg

this isn't right, is it?

_

Yah but only 8 pipes? It's a gimped card. I guess if running a silent pc is that important to you its a good deal, but I wouldn't buy it.

Lejend said:
Yah but only 8 pipes? It's a gimped card. I guess if running a silent pc is that important to you its a good deal, but I wouldn't buy it.

9800 with the zalman thing and a 5volted 80mm fan would be faster.

No its not underclocked according to the specs for 6800NU's. Not sure how exactly they pulled off running it passive though. Must be a pretty decent cooler if its passive (must be hoping the user has adequate case cooling to though). Anyhow this will still appeal to those wanting decent performance in D3 as many are looking to build new rigs, but may not have bundles of money stashed away to blow.

Nightingale said:
No its not underclocked according to the specs for 6800NU's. Not sure how exactly they pulled off running it passive though. Must be a pretty decent cooler if its passive (must be hoping the user has adequate case cooling to though). Anyhow this will still appeal to those wanting decent performance in D3 as many are looking to build new rigs, but may not have bundles of money stashed away to blow.

I wonder about that. I have an overclocked 6800nu and during stress testing, the tempreture tops out at about 65C. Now I've heard of many 6800GT's hitting 85C. My core is clocked to 400 so it would be comparable to a stock GT. The only difference is those 4 extra pipelines. Now you take away another 4 and you'd be running much cooler (45C?) which would enable you to use passive cooling. Just a theory tho...

remember, if the 6800 core shutdown at 125 celcius (see the drivers), there's still quite a bit of room to play with here

obviously Nvidia made these cores to handle high temps so maybe the passive cooling is keeping it around 70C or so perhaps? It would be great to see a review site like [H] to get ahold of one of these and actually put a thermistor next to the core and then run 3dmark03 etc.

Last edited:
Back