• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon 64/FX Question...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
BTW... I'm not ragging on the FX. This is a serious question. I'm looking to upgrade and am wondering if there's any reason to consider the FX as opposed to the 939 pin 64...

The FX utilizes dual channel, where 3700 is 754 only, and is only single. then the multipliers on the FX are fully unlocked (up and down) where as the 3700 is only downward unlocked.

^^ I'm refering to the 939 64s.

"Now that the Athlon 64's will support dual channel memory (the 939-pin variants)"

3700 is not 939, only 3500, and 3800 at present are 939. possibly a 1 meg 3600 soon, but not sure on that. 3700 CPU's are all 754

Last edited:
Hope this would help to highlite the 939/FX dual channel advantages, mainly on memory intensive programs:

hitechjb1 said:
For 939 with 1 MB L2 (such as FX), when available, it would perform similar to a 940 FX/Opteron, running at the same frequenies.

For 939, if used with unbuffered, non-ECC memory module, can be slightly faster than a 940 due to less memory overhead.

Both of 939/940 dual channel have 80% more effective memory bandwidth than the 754, hence they are always better in performance, especially for memory intensive programs such as video and image streaming, applications using spatially structured data as in scientific computation, up to 20-80% higher performance (e.g. PCmark02 memory test, Sandra memory bandwidth, Sciencemark Stream, many scientific programs). For video, image streaming, data needs to be refreshed constantly from the main memory (L3) to the on chip L2 via the memory bus as size of data >> L2 size at any given time. Under such situation, the high dual channel memory bandwidth delivers a marked performance advantage.

From a few gaming benchmarks, a A64 FX/939 at 2.4 GHz performs 12-20% better than an A64 754 with 1MB L2 at 2.0 GHz, and 15-29% better than an A64 754 with 512 L2 at 2.0 GHz (memory bus, HT bus same frequencies). Not clear if 754 CPU's were clocked to same speed, what would the performance difference be, as the performance difference can be attributed to both memory bandwidth and CPU raw power, but these numbers put an upper bound on gaming performance of 939 over 754. From looking at another set of game benchmarks with both a 939 (512 KB L2) and a 754 (1 MB L2), both running at same frequencies, they are about tie. So I would conclude that for gaming, if both 939 and 754 have the same L2 cache size, running at the same frequencies of CPU, memory and HT, a 939 performs few % (say 5%) on the average better than a 754 for most games.

If not counting memory intensive programs, the advantage of 939/FX over 754 is few % (say 5%) on the average.

For details:

Performance analysis of various A64 systems (including Barton, P4's) (post 7)

Estimation and importance of 939 platform memory bandwidth (page 19)

Differences between the XP FSB and the A64 buses (separate memory bus and HyperTransport bus) (page 19)

Back