• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

significant performance hit with 4x agp?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Enemy Down!

with these latest high end cards, like the 6800 ultra, will there be a noticable performance hit on a machine that is running one with 4x agp vs. another machine that is running with 8x agp?

Enemy Down! said:
with these latest high end cards, like the 6800 ultra, will there be a noticable performance hit on a machine that is running one with 4x agp vs. another machine that is running with 8x agp?

nope maybe a couple fps at most..

reason i am asking is because i have an smp system with only 4x agp and i want to purchase a high end card to play doom 3 with very high settings.

Enemy Down! said:
reason i am asking is because i have an smp system with only 4x agp and i want to purchase a high end card to play doom 3 with very high settings.

well you will be cpu limited a tad but go for it...no smp support for d3 at all..

actually, my brother got the game at best buy today and it played fairly well with little to no slowdown even during battles on his 3.12ghz p4 with 9800 pro oc'd to xt. so i figure the 5950 oc'd a little should yield similar performance.... i can also bump the mp2000 to mp2100 or 2200 in bios to help a little more.

edit; wait, i am confused now... what is the 5950 ultra compared to? the 9800 xt?

well, i think i am going to need a faster one than the 5950. i want to match my existing smp rig's performance to my brother's performance and i know i am going to need a card that can beat his, which is a 9800 pro oc'd to an xt. so what nvidia card will beat the 9800 xt? my budget is $250-$300 but no more than that.

reason i need geforce cards is because i purchased a 9800 np a little while back, but it would not run very well on my smp rig, it kept reseting the screen resolution to some type of default upon every reboot. so i am not a fan if ati's drivers right now.

Last edited:
get a 6800, either that or think X800 and go back to the ATI camp,

though ANY 6800 is a LOT better than ANY 5900/5950 (dunno about LE's, but they should do at least as well)

AGP 8X hasn't even really begun to use its full capacity so i think AGP4x is just barely being pushed beyond is limites even with these cards. I think you should be fine. I myself asked this same question in the SMP forums when I was looking into getting a dual XP/MP setup, but opted for an opteron rig. Everyone said that 4x with an X800 or similar would only have marginal loses at best at the moment.

I wil say This any one buying a AGP card at the moment might want to hold off..

after doing some more research i have come to the conclusion that the geforce 6800 non-pro would be the best investment right now and i can get on from newegg for 290.

but i am confused by newegg's advertising for some brands of the 6800 series.

some cards have 12 pipes with 325 mhz core, but others have the 16 pipes with faster cores for the same price. what is going on here?

here is the link. the first 5 cards confuse me.

newegg geforce 6800 search

Not sure whats so confusing. The cards for around 300 are the 6800Nu, the cards 400 and up are the 6800GT, and the 500+ cards are the 6800U. Just look at core speeds and compare those to manufactuers pages and spec sheets to make sure you know what your getting though if you question something. Anyhow the 6800 is probably the best card in its range(probably currently as mid to high end?). Another thing is if you get one of these cards now, when your ready to upgrade you already have a decent card to start with.

diehrd said:
I wil say This any one buying a AGP card at the moment might want to hold off..

i wouldnt, unless you also plan to get a new Mobo / cpu and ram in the very near future, then yes hold off, but if you plan to keep your current system for another year - then get a high end AGP card - and most systems now should last fine fopr a year for gaming.

I went with a 9800pro for now because they are pretty reasonably priced and great performance. Your best bet maybe to go with the 9800pro or FX5950. I am waiting for an Nforce 4 mobo to support dual Opterons and sli hopefully early next year(still kinda wierd how things always come back in fashion).

the first 2 cards that are on the link are from leadtek and evga and are both 325 core with 12 pipelines. i thought that this is the 6800 NU card specs.

but the 3 (from XFX, gainward & chaintek) other cards below those have 16 pipelines and one suppossadly has DDR3. i thought only GT and ultra cards recieve 16 pipelines.

if this info is true, then why settle for the 12 pipeline cards when i can get the 16 pipeline ones for pretty much the same price?

Back