• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which card, ti4200 or fx5200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xtreme404

Hey guys, I have two video cards here. One is the Geforce4 Ti4200 64meg card and the other is the FX5200 128meg card. Which one would do youthink would perform better for gaming. I want to try joint operations and far cry, but I wasn't sure which card would give me the best results. Running a amd xp2100, and 512 corsair xms ram.

Thanks guys!

At default speeds my 64mb Ti4200 runs far cry very nicely at 1024x768 with everything on medium.

I'm not biased, but I'd put in the Ti4200. Check out that review, the Ti will beat out the 5200 in most games, except a few DX9 games. (Ti4200 is a DX8 card)

I have used both , I would not use the use the 5200. It is better for just for limited use (watching videos) and such. In your class needs...for gaming I would use the Ti4200.

the sheer fact that the 4200 is a dx8 card really is going to be the hamartia of it. It really was a good card (an owner myself) and it performed really well especially against every other card at the time. Than dx9 came along and kicked a few times between the legs.
Believe you me the 4200 is still a great card, gets you results and performance however, with games like far cry, and newer dx9 games its slowly becoming a card of the past. The 4200 will work for now, but try and save up for either a 9500 (soft-moddable) or even go all the way and save up for an x800 / 6800 card.

Since it seems you already have these 2, you will get the best performance outta the 4200. I had a GF3 ti200, and wanted to get the 5200. What I was mad about, was that it performed quite a bit lower than my ti500, so I got the 4200 and was more than pleased. The 5200 series is the mx cards, just in a more confusing way, and still not up to par...

Back